20

r i l e y

"Would you look at that," Calum whispered, his breath warm as it tickled my ear. He pointed to Luke and Mickey, who were cuddled up against each other as we watched the original Spiderman movie.

"Yuck," I commented, earning a raspberry from Calum on my neck. I giggled and squirmed in his arms as he started tickling my sides, making my laughter turn into hiccups.

"Is it still yucky now? Is it, is it, is it?" he taunted, continuing to tickle me faster.

I shook my head, gasping for breath. "No," I choked out, burying my face into his chest.

"Aw, Ashton, how yucky is that!" Michael squealed in a high pitched voice, trying to imitate me.

Ashton pretended to laugh histerically while he wrapped his arms around Michael in a bear hug. "I guess it's just you and me, Mikeybear."

"Oh, get a room, you two," Calum insisted, and Michael shot him a glare.

"Will you all shut up?" Luke snapped, giving us all the evil eye. Mickey snuggled against him and he smiled contently.

We continued watching the movie and Calum's arm remained loosely around my torso. I heard the quiet buzzing of something in my butt, and I fished my phone out of my back pocket. Dani's name flashed across the screen, making my eyes strain.

I slipped out of Calum's grasp quietly, trying not to disturb everyone else again. I padded into the kitchen and answered her call, hugging one arm around my body to keep myself warm. "Hello?"

"Ry," Dani sobbed, and all I could hear were her muffled cries. "He...he broke up with me."

My breathing slowed. "Wait, what?"

"Sam...h-he broke up with me." Her confession only ignited more sobs from her chest, and I felt a pang of regret for not being there for her.

"Why?" I whisper yelled, still aware of the movie playing in the other room.

"H-he said that he needed sp-space, or some shit like that." Dani coughed, and I heard her pulling more tissues out of the box.

"Hold on, I'll be right over. Are you home?"

She sniffled and mumbled, "Yes." I heard breathing on the other line which I took for thinking. Her gasps became less frequent, and I knew she had started controlling her cries. "But I'd rather be alone right now. I'll call you tomorrow, okay?"

"Sure, Dan. Just call if you need me."

"Thanks, Ry," she whispered, and the line went dead.

I placed my elbows on the countertop and rested my head in my hands. When Dani was sad, I couldn't help but feel her pain as well. The poor girl had gone through a lot.

"Is everything alright?" Calum's voice echoed throughout the small kitchen, and I lifted my head up to look at him.

He covered the space between us in three large steps, engulfing me into a tight hug. "Sam broke up with Dani and she's really upset."

"Dani is that really preppy one, right?" Calum chuckled and rested his chin on top of my head.

"Yeah, that's her."

He backed up and tilted my chin up. Our eyes met and he stuck out his bottom lip. "You look sad too, though. I hate when you're sad."

I sighed and leaned my forehead against his chest. "She's my best friend. If she's upset, then so am I."

Calum perked up and took my hand. "I know just what will make you feel better." We crept back into the living room silently, taking the stairs one at a time to avoid creaking. When we reached the second floor, Calum opened the door to a random bedroom, which just happened to be Ashton's, and shut the door behind us.