21

r i l e y

"I really like her," Luke muttered as we sat at the kitchen island waiting for Ashton and Michael to finish making us dinner. Dani was sitting to my left, and after deep contemplation she finally decided to take up Michael's offer to join us for one last 2013 dinner, even though it was only around four. "I mean, she's really not that bad."

"Calum told me she was crazy." I shruggde and continued to sip my drink, watching as Luke rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, crazy for me. Who wouldn't be crazy for this hot piece of--"

"We're ready!" Michael announced, pulling something out of the oven. I spun back around and my eyes landed on a piece of burnt...food. "What is that?" Dani questioned, raising an eyebrow skeptically.

Mchael scoffed and put a hand on his hip. "What do you think it is? It's ham, obviously!"

The three of us eyed it hesitantly while Ashton jumped around the kitchen placing forks and knives in front of each of us. "We also have cornbread and, um...Michael, what is that?"

"It's gravy and peas. And there's rolls. And, uh, Pepsi."

We all piled our plates with our small variety of food and waited for one brave person to take the first bite. Michael took a seat next to Dani while Ashton pulled up a stool next to Luke.

"Luke, you try first." Ashton nudged his shoulder.

"No, you made it!" Luke argued, crossing his arms over his chest.

Michael shrugged. "It doesn't look that bad." He took a large bite of ham, which was slathered with gravy, and his face immediately twisted in disgust. "Excuse me," he muttered, covering his mouth and running to the bathroom.

Dani giggled, rolling her eyes. "Is he always this weird?"

"Yes," the three of us chorused, picking at the peas on our plate.

"Why don't we order pizza?" I suggested, and Ashton nodded quickly.

"Pizza sounds great."

✿❀✿❀✿❀

"Where are we going?" I asked anxiously, practically hopping up in down in my seat. It was later that evening, and since the boys had agreed on having an early dinner, I had enough time to get ready for Calum to pick me up at six.

Calum strapped the seatbelt across his body slowly, as if he were trying to torture me. "You'll see."

Thanks to him, the two of us were stuck in the throng of people trying to get to the city. When we finally took an exit, he navigated his way to a more suburban area where the houses were contemporary and large.

The sun was barely peeking over the horizon now, and it cast an eerie glow on the streets. I could hear the distant sound of music playing paired with screams and laughter. Calum turned down another street and pulled up to the curb. In front of us was a carnival-like setting with blow up bouncy houses and boardwalk games.

I gasped and looked over at Calum, who was giving me a shy smile. "I figured you'd want to come here. You used to love carnivals when we were little. Remember that one time you got so scared on the Ferris wheel that you cried when we stopped at the top? Anyway, my uncle has a house in this neighborhood and told me that they always throw a block party on New Years Eve, even though it's cold as hell."

"I love it." I scrambled out of my seat in a frenzy and dashed into the madness, feeling my feet clunk against the cold pavement. I heard Calum chasing after me, and he easily caught up and wrapped a strong arm around my waist.