The Heist, Part 3

Chapter 8 has been divided. This is part 3

.

"Dialogues"

'Thoughts'

.

Note: This is Part 3. The chapter has been divided due to the abnormal length.

Check the GLOSSARY for anything you might not understand.

***

Bonus Chapter 8: The Heist, Part 3

***

The third, fourth, fifth and sixth days passed doing absolutely nothing. The college midterms exams had been scheduled and all the teens were too busy writing papers to pay attention to the heist.

On the seventh day, another Sunday, Kaito arrived at the Blue Parrot early morning, hopeful that Jii-san had managed to make some progress.

"I'm sorry," Jii shook his head ruefully, "While I managed to set up other traps, the heist room has been very carefully guarded. No worker can enter simply, you know."

"Eh?" Kaito flopped down on a barstool sullenly, "Guess I'll have to scale the wall and enter through the windows then,"

"Bocchama," Jii began, "there are no windows for the room they've chosen."

"Drat!" Kaito cursed, "That old man is crafty. I'll have to search another way..."

"Also, there's something else," Jii said, pulling Kaito out of his thoughts for a moment, "I saw Aoko-san at the mansion."

"Aoko?" Kaito blinked, confused.

"Yes, along with Shinichi-san," Jii added, "Perhaps she might have come to deliver lunch to Ginzo-san, but I seem to doubt it."

"Aoko and Shinichi?" Kaito lit up, "Haha! Jii-chan! They just gave the perfect idea to infiltrate the room!"

"Bocchama?"

"Don't worry Jii-chan; we've got this one in the bag!"

***

"Yes, just that way," Shinichi nodded, "Perfect. Now, attach it to the door. A once open, once close mechanism."

Jirokichi-san frowned, "Are you sure that it will work? I'm converting one whole room for this, you know?"

"You can easily remove the mirrors and put them in one of your museums later," Shinichi said, "But, I can guarantee you that your original idea with mirrors wouldn't have lasted long against KID."

"I will have to concede to that," Jirokichi-san sighed, "But still..."

"It is all a matter of timing," Shinichi assured the man, "make sure the police follow at just a certain distance and he will be sure to trip most of the traps."

"Very well."

"And, one more thing. Have you an idea of his time of arrival?"

"Ah," Jirokichi-san shook his head, "we've received several notes from him – and a few turned up in rather odd places! – but we've been unable to decode it."

"Decode?" Shinichi repeated, "He's replied in code? That's unusual for a simple reply,"

"No, not in code. They're all rather blank pieces of paper." Jirokichi-san's voice was frustrated, "We received twenty on the first day, forty on the second and he kept adding twenty more to the bunch for every other day! The day before yesterday, on the fifth day, my office, the pantry, our mail box, even the fireplace was flooded with letters, a whole hundred in total!"