Draco Malfoy

He had actually wanted to be Harry Potter's friend very much. Even in the robe shop the small blond had wanted to impress him because he had dearly wanted a friend. A real friend, not like Crabbe or Goyle. He had actually thought he was doing a good job until the dark haired boy had ran off without a word. Draco hadn't known where he had gone wrong. So when he approached the boy again he was incredibly confused, which made him annoyed because he didn't like being confused. In retrospect Draco knew he probably shouldn't have insulted the Weasel if he wanted to be Potter's friend but insulting the Wesleys had become second nature to the boy. Plus he had laughed at Draco's name, and that had just been plain rude. Still, Potter's rejection had stung him, and the naive little blond had decided that he would never forgive him. He decided right there in that cramped little train compartment that he would hate Harry Potter forever.

Draco didn't agree with a lot of things his father did. Of course he would never tell anyone this, because it was Draco's job to blindly support his father, no matter what. So he stayed silent and let his father do what he wished. It was in his second year that he drew the line though. Draco knew very well that he was spoiled and could even sometimes be slightly dim but he was not stupid. He knew what his father was going to do to the Weasley girl was wrong.
So, in his own little way, he decided to try and help; his father would never know either way. So he ripped out the page about the giant snake and hid it exactly where he knew the Mudblood would find it. He still hated Mudbloods, don't get him wrong, and all of the Weasley's for that matter, but he did have a heart. No one ever found out it was Draco who had saved the school; he wasn't in a rush to tell anyone either.

It had been a surprise when the Mudblood had slapped him. He would have reacted more if he hadn't been so shocked. Instead he walked away, his minions following after him. His cheek had still ached when he had gotten back to his dormitory. She had hit him. A Mudblood: someone who his father had said was no better than the dirt found under someone's shoe. He was Draco Malfoy: the Slytherin Ice Prince, the Malfoy Heir. She had slapped him as if she had a right to. Even though he would never admit it to anyone, he developed a new found respect for the girl that day.