Chapter 2

"Ashley!" Ryan called as he hurried over to his friend.

"Woah! Ryan slow down. What's the hurry?" The female lion cub questioned as Ryan skidded to a stop in front of her.

"Are you going to the game?" The male cub asked before catching his breath.

"I thought you're already there." Ashley said.

"Well, I was but.. I was looking for you." Ryan enunciated. "You said you'd come."

"Oh." Ashley sighed. "I'm sorry Ryan, I can't go. It's Tyler." She referred to his younger brother. "He's not feeling well."

"Really? Is he sick? Where is he?" Ryan looked around.

"He's at the tree back there, taking a nap." Ashley pointed with her muzzle to where the little cub was lying beside the tree where Ryan used to sulk back then.

"Oh, too bad. I wish I could stay and give you some company but, you know my dad." Ryan mentioned.

"It's okay." Ashley smiled. "You know what they say, family is just way too important for us to leave behind." She enunciated.

"Yeah I guess." Ryan answered, frowning a little over the thought. "Well, see ya later Ashley!" He beamed and turned to leave.

"See you later Ryan!" Ashley replied and watched him go.

*****

"Time check, we have two minutes and ten seconds to score. We just lost eight minutes of this quarter and still no points on both sides." Benny spat out.

"Relax Benny, we can still win this." Samson retorted.

"We need a plan." Nigel slipped in.

"Just leave this to me. Benny, would you take my place?" Samson asked, turning to his best comrade. "I'm going in."

"Wait really?" Benny squeaked in excitement.

"Yes." Samson answered with a solid tone, determined to put himself into the test.

"Well, good luck out there old man." Benny enunciated.

Samson shifted and stood at the front line, along with his team. "Alright, you know what to do Benny. On my count, three... two... one!"

On Samson's signal, Benny slid the turtle along the field, and Samson took the lead.

*****

"Oh, I am so... late." Ryan said to himself as he ran as fast as he can.

"Pssst!" A voice suddenly called out of nowhere, which made Ryan spun around.

"Who's there?!" He growled.

"Man, he should've guessed." Another voice uttered, and from that moment Ryan immediately knew who he had stumbled upon.

"Eze.. Duke, it's just you guys." Ryan let out a sigh of relief. "What are you two doing here? He questioned.

"What else? Catching up with you." Duke stated and showed himself from a bush, with Eze trailing from behind him.

"You better not be chasing the gazelles again." Ryan reprimanded, not wanting the accident a few months ago to happen again.

"Not this time Ryan. We just wanted to get to the game." The kangaroo retorted.

"Really? Well that's a first. You guys don't usually come to the games." The cub uttered.

"Well, we learned our lesson Ryan and you learned yours. Now come on. We're gonna miss it!" Duke reasoned and took no waste of time hopping on his way to the field where the game was held.

"Alright, wait up!" Eze and Ryan called and caught up with him.

*****

"Samson is dominating the field! What an amazing comeback!" The host announced, the enthusiasm in his voice never ever fading.

There is no doubt though. From the looks of it, Samson's team are going for the victory cup. Gaining the upper hand, the team can only taunt the opposing team as all the work goes to Samson. The lion was swinging his stick on the field, swift on his paws as no penguin could match his speed. All that adventure from the wild had paid off after all. The energy isn't just like any other, it was wild. And nobody could withstand the king of the jungle.

"There goes!" Benny cried at the edge of the field as Samson swung his stick and aims for the goal.

Five...

The turtle shell zoomed steadfast on the field as it reaches the goal. The countdown continued.

Four...

It began to slow down, entering the goal circle. Silence plunged around the whole field.

Three...

The crowd watched in silent anticipation as it loomed closer to the center.

Two...

Almost there..... almost... and.....

One...

Bullseye! Right in time before the timer reaches zero!

"Yeah!" Samson roared.

"I can't believe it!" Even the host himself seemed taken aback. "Seems like Samson's team is once again zoo champs after all."

"We did it!" Samson gathered his team, and the crowd cheered.

"Way to go Samson!" Bridgette enunciated.

"That was wicked sick!" Benny remarked.

Samson formed a smile on his face. This night had been his best night, and there's no denying that. But something's missing. His eyes began to survey the crowds, raising his head to see. Warily, he scanned the faces. But unfortunately, Ryan was not there. He frowned.

"Samson what's wrong? We won." Nigel slipped in.

"There's nothing wrong Nigel. It's just-" An intensifying roar caught his ears.

Samson spun around, his eyes narrowing as that familiar roar rang. That roar, it's... It's Ryan's roar! He began to search for the source of the roar in unrest, hoping to see Ryan somewhere among the crowd. And there he was, the adolescent lion cub, revealing his sharp teeth as he roared proudly for his dad.

"Ryan!" Samson roared back.

Immediately, Ryan isolated himself from the rest of the crowd and ran towards Samson. And the two clasped together in a tight embrace.

"I'm so glad you're here Ryan!" Samson cooed, still hugging his son proudly.

"I was just in time to see you in action! You were so awesome. You should've seen the view from up there. The penguins were scattering like a bunch of chickens. They couldn't match your speed, you were lightning fast!" Ryan blurted out as he breathlessly praised his father.

"You're super duper awesome back there sir!" Duke remarked as he padded towards the duo.

"Yeah, that was... superb!" The hippo echoed as he followed.

"Well, now that we won. We should celebrate eh?" Samson mentioned, diverting his attention to his son.

Ryan beamed. "Great! I'm gonna go tell Ashley." He uttered and took off.

Samson chuckled and shook his head, amused. "Come on guys! Let's get rockin'!"