Chapter 2

"It wasn't her fault," Isla shouted frantically, crawling a few steps towards the Alpha. He looked over at her and smirked, a deep line settling in between his eyes.

"And you are?" He dragged out his words.

"I'm her big sister, this was all my idea, punish me not her." For once, Isla sounded remorseful. The Alpha chuckled, though I don't think it was in humor, and took two strolling steps toward her.

"You're very brave," He praised. "But it won't save you."

Isla's head dropped and I heard her gently whisper a prayer to the moon. Her slight frame curled against the ground just to put more inches between her and the Alpha.

"Alpha," Titus addressed. "Please, this is my Beta's daughter."

"Maybe we can come to some sort of arrangement," He turned around and smiled at me, his eyes crinkled warmly in the corners.

"Anything," Titus promised.

"Then, you'll allow me to take my mate back to my territory?"

Alpha Titus paused and looked around at us.

"You don't mean Sloane, do you?" The confusion was evident.

"Sloane," The Alpha tested on his tongue, cheeks flushed at the sound.

My father stepped forward angrily, grabbing Isla by her arm and hauling her to her feet.

"You are not taking either of my daughters, I don't care if you are an Alpha or not. This is a dangerous time and they need to be with their family, they need to be protected."

The Alpha raised an eyebrow, asking if my father was truly speaking to him in that tone. When my father stood his ground, he set a smug smile on his face and moved toward him.

"Beta, are you suggesting I don't know how to protect my mate?"

My father took a deep breath and closed his eyes as he spoke. "That's not what I'm saying. I just think it would be best that my daughters stay with me until this ordeal with the humans is sorted out." He opened his eyes. "You don't want Sloane running around your pack while we are dealing with the humans, it would be too much work."

"I assure you, I am more than capable of protecting my own mate from some humans. And she wouldn't be work, as you so eloquently put it." The Alpha's voice was dominating, though his words were precise.

My father looked down, his grip on Isla's arm tightening, and he seethed quietly.

"Sloane?" The Alpha looked to me, his voice softening at my name. I looked up and waited. "Would you please return to your room, pack your belongings, and say goodbye to your family? The cars are waiting and it's a few hours before we will reach my pack."

My heart began jumping in my chest.

"You want me to leave right now?" My voice was breathless and weak.

"Yes," He said, nodding empathetically. I shook my head, smiling like it was a joke. "Sloane?"

"No, you cannot just drag me away from my family within the first five minutes that you meet me," I told him, stepping back, outrage filling my shivering body.

"Sloane, I am an Alpha, I have a pack to run. I have no time for childish games or frivolous banter. Gather your things, we will leave as soon as you are done."