Crossing Boundaries Teaser

Crossing Boundaries is officially up on Wattpad! Head over to my profile to check it out. This is the third book in the series and tells the story of Cam and Gemma.

"Gem!" Lennon's small voice woke me violently from my sleep. I sprung from my mattress and looked around the room for her. My legs trudged forward through the old machinery and cardboard boxes that were left behind in the small shack.

I found Lennon outside the building with a small stick in her hand.

"I found a caterpillar! Look." She held her stick up to my face and showed me the finger length green bug that was inching along the twig.

"Lennon," I smiled half-heartedly. "I told you not to wake me up unless it was an emergency."

"Well, it sort of was," She whined. He dirty hand slumped to her side, completely forgetting about the caterpillar. "I'm bored, Herra isn't back yet."

"Your sister will be home soon," I told her, stopping down to take the stick from her. I found a nearby leaf and gently urged the bug onto it. Lennon's hands rested on her knees as she watched her bug nibble on the edge of the plant.

"Herra said she would be an hour," Lennon pouted. "It's been like four hours, at least."

"It's been forty-five minutes, Len," I chuckled. She turned and threw her arms around my neck, forcing me to tumble down on my butt. I held her close to me, brushing her hair from around her shoulders. She backed up and tried to pull me up with her.

"Gem, come on," She tugged. "Let's go find Wesley and Oryn."

"Where are they?"

"They went fishing," She said and then paused. "I think."

"Why don't we just wait until they get back," I suggested. "Herra will be back soon with some food."

Lennon grumbled but followed me inside. We decided to sleep in the small building for a few days while we traveled west. There was only five of us, our own small pack, but there was little to no uninhabited lands in the east.

We were considered rogues because we had no designated pack or Alpha, although Herra took over the role at most times. None of us had the rogue gene and we hadn't been exposed to any silver; both of which turn wolves against their natural instincts to break away from their pack.

I pulled a water bottle out from my backpack and handed it to Lennon who happily drank it. She slumped on Herra's larger backpack and crinkled the plastic bottle between her small hands.

Herra returned shortly, carrying two large bags filled with food. I quickly grabbed one of them from her and set it on the makeshift table in the corner. She ignored me and set the other bag on the ground.

"Herra!" Lennon cheered.

"Where's Wesley?" She asked flatly.

"With Oryn," I said softly. She growled and stepped out of the shack. Lennon jumped up from the ground and went to follow her sister but I grabbed her arm and held her back. "Len, why don't we give your sister a moment."

"Why do you always stop me?" She cried. "I can keep up with her!"

"She's going down by the lake, you nearly fell in on the rocks yesterday," I reminded her. She grumbled and walked outside, grabbed her stick, and began hitting trees with it.

I sighed and unpacked the food from the two bags. I could hear Herra yelling at Wesley as they walked back.

"I told you to stay near the house while I was gone, didn't I? I didn't say to go down by the lake with Oryn, I gave you one simple direction."

Wesley didn't answer her, just crossed his arms, and walked beside her.

"Go play with Lennon," Herra sighed. "I need to talk to Gemma."

"Why is she still here?" He drawled quietly.

"Go play with Lennon."

Herra walked in through the door and shut it behind her. I paused my hands and stepped back from the table. She crossed her arms and glared at me.

"Why was Wesley down by the lake?" She spat. I looked away from her ice blue eyes and down at the dust covered floor.

"I was taking a nap," I told her. "I didn't notice her was gone."

"You were taking a nap?" She nearly screamed. "I leave you in charge of my kid brother and sister and you fall asleep? What if something had happened to them?"

"I told them to stay close. I was exhausted, Herra. I wouldn't be able to travel tomorrow if I didn't get a little sleep. I stayed watch all last night," I pointed out.

"Are you complaining?" She lifted a pale hand and ran it through her short, white-blonde hair. "You know you're lucky we're even letting you travel with us."

"I know that," I nodded quickly. "And I appreciate it, I really do. I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

"It better not." She turned and opened the door again, allowing a bit of light into the dark room.

I watched her leave the building, walking out to watch Wesley and Lennon chase each other in circles. Oryn returned from fishing and set his things by the door. I was sitting on an old bucket, peeling potatoes when his face turned and peeked in.

His eyes followed up from my legs to my waist and then halted when he got to my chest. I hurriedly fixed my shirt that had fallen slightly and continued to peel. He chuckled and left me alone. From the corner of my eyes I could see him walk up and place his arm around Herra; they weren't mates, but they acted like it.

Oryn blended in with the outdoors; freckled skin, dark hair and eyes-it was Herra who stood out against the greens and browns. She was like an ice sculpture, in appearance and in personality.

Herra and I cooked dinner over a fire and tucked Lennon and Wesley into bed before curling up in opposite sides of the room. Oryn was sitting guard tonight, allowing me to sleep for the first time in nearly three days.

I was woken up with a hand covering my mouth, Oryn kneeling excitedly behind me. I yelped in surprise and tried to buck him off me, but he held his hand firmly. When I stopped moving, her lifted his hand and jerked his head, motioning for me to follow him outside.

I glanced at Herra, sound asleep with a blanket over her. I stumbled blindly past the junk on the floor and outside. Oryn stood fifteen feet from the front door in a clearing that was illuminated in moonlight.

"I don't know why you keep trying to fight it," Oryn mused, staring up at the stars.

"Fight what?"

"The attraction you have towards me," He smirked, looking over at me. I bit my lip to choke down the scream that wanted to come out. "It's quite obvious."

"You are Herra's," I denied, stepping a few feet away from him.

"What Herra doesn't know won't hurt her," He laughed.

"Shh," I raised my hands, trying to quiet him. "If Herra finds me out here, she'll kill me."

"Oh please. Herra is like a toothless lion, her bark is worse than her bite."

"I'm not so sure." I smiled politely but continued to lean away from him. He turned on his heel and stepped towards me. I backed up, reaching my hands out to brace myself. "Oryn, please."

"Oh, don't worry Hun, I can be gentle." His malicious smile lit up in the dark.

"Don't do this," I warned, hitting my back against a tree.

"Shut up," He spat, annoyed. He leaned in, hands on either side of my face. I turned my head and closed my eyes. I could feel his warm breath on my cold cheek. "We own you, you little bitch. If I want you, I can have you. Herra will never know, and even if she does, you'll be the one she blames."

"Oryn-"

"Ah, ah," He snickered. "I would stop talking if I were you. We all know why you're here and not back with whatever pack you're from. You make one wrong move and we'll ship you back to your Alpha and tell him what a murderous bitch you are."