prologue and cast

Rue watched as the townspeople all rioted outside of the tavern now, holding Maurice in custody. Her heart ached for what she and Gaston had done to the poor man, leaving him to be eaten by the wolves. It was going to haunt her for some time now. She trailed behind Gaston, worry and concern in her eyes. 

     "This man is weak! Please!" Pere Robert yelled as they were dragging Maurice towards the containment cell. "He needs a hospital, not an Asylum!" Rue followed behind Gaston, fearful of his death glare at the old man. 

     "You ever seen the inside of a mad house, Maurice?" Gaston asked leaning towards the man. "You wouldn't last a week. Just give me your daughter's hand, and I'll set you free." 

     "Never," Maurice answered. Gaston frowned, then slammed the doors shut. Rue slightly flinched, watching as all the people were still holding torches. 

     "Take him away!" Gaston shouted. The horses began running away from the scene, Rue stepping up next to Gaston. Suddenly, Belle rode in wearing a beautiful yellow dress and riding a white horse. 

     "Stop!" she screamed. The coachmen stopped, eyes wide at the girl. Belle dismounted the horse, running to the cell as she carried a mirror in her hand. "Papa." 

     "Ah, Belle. I thought I'd lost you," Maurice said with a sigh. 

     "Let him out. He's hurt," Belle begged. 

     "We can't do that miss, but we'll take very good care of him," Monsieur D'Arque said in a monotone voice. 

     "My father's not crazy! Gaston, tell him!" Belle pleaded turning to the man. 

     "You know how loyal I am to your family. But, your fathers been making some unbelievable claims," Gaston said motioning to the cell. 

     "It's true, Belle," Monsieur Jean said stepping forward. "He's been raving about a beast in a castle!" 

     "I've just come from the castle and there is a beast!" Belle argued. 

     "You'd say anything to set him free. Your word is hardly proof," Gaston said to her. 

     "You want proof," Belle stated. She flipped  the mirror and looked into it. "Show me the beast!" She turned it to everyone, most people gasping and stepping back. Rue only stared with wide eyes. That was enough proof. "There's your proof." 

     "This is sorcery!" Gaston said snatching the mirror from Belle. "Look at this beast." He turned the mirror to everyone, most people flinching. "Look at his fangs! His claws!" They were all gasping, still stepping back. 

     "No, don't be afraid!" Belle said stepping forward. "He's gentle and kind." 

     "Belle..." Rue said looking at the girl. 

     "The monster has her under his spell," Gaston concluded. "If I didn't know better, I'd say she even cared for him!" 

     "He's not a monster, Gaston! You are!" Belle spat at the man. Everyone had their eyes on her, and Gaston was fuming with rage. "The Beast wouldn't hurt anyone!" 

     "I've heard of the affects of dark magic, but I've never before seen it with my own eyes!" Gaston exclaimed, villagers agreeing. "This is a threat to our very existence! We can't have her running off to warn the Beast. Lock her up to." 

    "Gaston," Rue said looking up at him. He glanced at the girl, noticing the concern she had for the situation. 

     "Do I need to lock you up, too?" he asked quietly.