i

disclaimer: i do not own disney
or beauty and the beast.
i only own rue. Enjoy. 

|-|

"You can't write a love story until you've felt true love." 

     Rue spit out the river water, bending over and gasping for air. He lungs felt clogged, and she kept coughing until she felt nothing more in her throat. She had risked her own life for that man, and he probably wasn't rushing to save her. She's hoping that he realizes she almost died just then.

     The downsides of sacrificing your life for another. 

     Rue slowly walked away from the river, hearing from the distant sound of people rejoicing. Probably because of the spell that was broken at the castle. Rue had regained her memories of the Prince and the castle moments ago, and understood it all now. 

     After all, Chip was her best friend. That is until she grew up and he didn't. Then she met Gaston. 

     That damn Gaston. 

     Her heart ached for the man, it did. But what was truly unfortunate was that she couldn't bring herself to tell him that he made her feel crazy. It started when they were both around the age of eighteen, but now she and him are in the mid-twenties. 

     She had admitted to herself at twenty-three that she loved him. How could she not? He treated her with so much care, with so much respect. And it was amazing whenever he would beat the shit out of any guy who would toy with her emotions. 

     There was a time that she walked into the tavern with tears running down her cheeks. When she walked right past Gaston who was trying to get her attention, he grabbed her arm and turned her around. 

     "Rue, what's wrong?" he asked. She wouldn't look up at him, knowing if she did that she would start crying more. Truth is, the biggest jerk in town, besides Gaston, had just attempted to get in bed with the girl. When she refused, he hit her and scarred her stomach. 

     Gaston lifted her chin up, then seeing the tears in her eyes. His heart was beating faster with rage. But before going to beat this guy to a pulp, he pulled Rue into a hug and held her close to his body. That's when she started crying again. After about five minutes, he had removed himself from the girl and looked her in the eye.

     "Why don't you go upstairs to your room and get some rest? I'll take care of everything." 

     Rue smiled to herself at the memory. She didn't ever see that jerk of the town again, and she could thank Gaston for that one. But one thing was off. Gaston didn't treat her like he loved her, he treated her like a sister. That's when the smile went down. 

     It was another downside. One that was probably the most effective in her feelings. She knew he wouldn't like her back in the way she liked him. It was awful to her, but he was totally oblivious to the girls feelings. It was like anything anyone had ever said before. It's what she thought the most.

     She just doesn't deserve him. 

     But who does, right?

          |-|

     Gaston walked into the tavern, and heavy sigh leaving his chest. His thoughts made him want to go back to the castle where the river was and collect the body of his best friend, just in case she didn't make it. 

     The thought terrified him. Having to find his best friend of years beyond years dead. That is just pure torture to anybody. But for these two, it would be committing emotional suicide. He did care for Rue very much after all. 

     Yes, he wanted to marry Belle. He loved her! Loved. Past tense. Not anymore. Not after Belle just left him for that beast. It was outrageous! Leaving Gaston for some animal, it doesn't seem probable - ever. 

    Yet, it happened. Belle left the man that loved her, but she didn't love him back. So how did he love her? Gaston stood in the middle of the tavern alone now, wondering why he'd ever loved Belle. He didn't understand it himself, but he was still angry. 

     His mind is now set for another woman, a woman he realized that he should've been going for ages ago. She was his best friend after all. Gaston knew he liked something about Rue, but it was much more than her looks on the outside, it was her beauty on the inside. How after everything he'd done, she still saved his life and gave her own. 

          |-|

     Rue slowly walked down the cobblestone path. She was shivering. Her split dress and pants were sticking to her body, causing her to cringe against the leather. He socks and shoes were soaking wet, which was just stressful. 

     She, in the moment, wanted to actually have drowned in the river. But she didn't at the same time. She wanted to live a full life, she wanted to tell Gaston she loved him. But she couldn't do that. 

     Yet, there was something about drowning that wasn't right. When she saw the black, she could only feel her heart ripping out of her body at a high speed. It was truly terrifying, and she couldn't think of anything worse. She had cheated death. 

     So there she was, standing outside the tavern door. She didn't want to walk in, knowing Gaston was most likely in there. Where else would he go if he didn't go to pick up her body. And truly she was fine with that, she would've left her own body there too. 

     Gaston from the inside was about to walk out, hesitating for a moment. What if he did find her dead? The thought haunted him, chilled his bones. He was stumped. So, he stepped back, then went up to the second floor of the tavern where his room was. He stayed there for the rest of the night. 

     While Rue went to the inn. No one was there, everyone still at the castle. She grabbed a piece of paper, a quill, and a room key. Room 314, she wrote, then laid money down on the counter. She quickly grabbed the extra set of clothes from the washroom that she hid in there a while ago, just in case something happened. Then she went to her room.