IMAGINE 1: ZACH DEMPSEY (PT1)

IMAGINE 1: ZACH DEMPSEY (PART 1/?)

AUTHORS NOTE: I do not own any of these characters besides Zoe Bradshaw. All rights belong to Jay Asher of 13 Reasons Why.

↳I hope you enjoy my first imagine. This is only part one though, I think I'll make several parts to Zach's story. Please leave requests and feedback in the comments.

WARNING-STRONG LANGUAGE

۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞ ۞

It has been four days since Hannah Baker died.

On the first day I was shocked. It was as if the atmosphere around me had shifted, a new aroma filled the room, stinking of sorrow and regret.

On the second day I was bitter. I thought about her dreams and future aspirations that were left sitting like an unopened letter, lost behind the kitchen cabinet and never to be opened again.

The third day our school put up "don't kill yourself" posters, sprawled along the main hallway

And on the fourth day they were torn down.

It feels selfish to think about her, Hannah I mean. We weren't friends. Smiling at each other after holding prolonged eye contact does not make two people amiable, it just makes you normal. I don't know why I never talked to her before. But then again, I never really talked to anyone. It wasn't that I was a loner or that I was antisocial, I just could never string together a proper sentence that was more than mere small talk. I've never been good at expressing myself but I can't help but think that I could have saved the life of a girl if I just would have said hel-

I couldn't even comphrend what just happened as a stiff object landed a blow, directly on the side of my face and forcing me off the bench. Trying to regain my bearings, I reached up to grab something to pull myself up and was met with the fall of several textbooks, spilling from my backpack. I didn't even need to hear the laughter surrounding me to know that I looked like a fool.

Snapping out of my trance, I looked up to see the silhouette of a figure, towering over my small frame. Standing at 6'3, he was hard to miss as the wavering scent of cedar-wood cologne and a ratty basketball jersey made his presence quite distinct.

Zach Dempsey.

Liberty High Schools very own heartthrob. The best basketball player our town's seen in ages, a shoe in for scholarships. While the crew he hung out with was a band of nasty, raucous jocks, his soft demeanor made him stand out from within his rowdy clique.

"I'll give that a 10 out of 10, solid fall Bradshaw." He extends out a hand and I gladly take it, anxious to get out of the public eye.

"Solid throw, Dempsey. Hope your aim is better tonight at the game." I couldn't stop the words from spilling out of my mouth as I never spoke to anyone with such crass but, in the heat of the moment it just happened. I thought my remark would be met with an insult but instead I saw his almond eyes crinkle as he let out a hardy laugh.

"I guess you're right, sorry about the ball...you know, in your face. I guess my trick shot isn't all that eh?". His intense gaze pierces my thoughts and I couldn't help but lower my stare to his lips. Zach and I had Biology together and talked frequently about his plans to become a marine biologist. Yet besides academics, I never really spoke to him. I never took the time to notice how his hair flopped over on the left side or the way he parted his mouth after finishing a sentence. For a split second it felt like it was just us in the courtyard until the sound of a third party split through our exchange.

"What the fuck Dempsey, get the damn ball." Justin yells.

"In a second, I'll be right over. Chill out."

He turns back to me, looking as though he has something else on his mind.

"Guess I should get going yeah? Wait hey- so about that game tonight."

Don't do it Zach, shut up.

"I was thinking that maybe you could-"

Don't finish that thought, I swear.

"-meet up with me afterwards..only if you want though."

He stumbled to finish his sentence and after, looked up to meet my eyes.

"Yeah, I mean I wasn't planning to go but maybe I'll um stop by?"

"Sure, yeah, awesome. I'll see you then. See you around Zoe.

And with that he grabbed the ball and ran back over to his behemoth friends, his lean, muscular body slicing through the air.

Shit. What just happened?