Chapter 17

“There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.” 

"Do you want to watch another movie"? Lee asked me as I turned in the bed. 

"Nah, too many movies in one day" I said, we watched 3 movies so far, Sophia and Emily were still at Chloe's and they werent coming for another hour so we could go to the pier. 

"Let's just relax then, Should we play a game?" He suggested as he patted my head and pulled me closer to him. "I'm a far better pillow" He smirked at me as I lay my head on his chest. 

"What game?" I asked. I liked this, being here with him, the world could stop and I wouldn't even notice. I stopped caring about whether he thought this was weird. I knew we were just friends but I wanted to stay like this, hugging, close. 

"21 questions. Ladies first?" He said playing with my hair again. 

"Um why did you move from Dunham?"I asked. 

"My stepdad got a new better paying job in Raleigh, besides, I didnt mind coming here to the school." He said. "Do you have any family members in Cali?" He asked softly. 

"Yeah, My cousin Joey, and my Aunt Clara, she's my dad's younger sister, Joey's mom." I said, I should probably contact them before I leave. "why haven't I met your stepdad yet?" I asked curiously. 

"He's not around much, he works alot so my mom doesnt have to" He said matter of factly. "What did your parents do?" He asked me leaning on his elbow facing me directly. 

"My dad had his own law firm, Joey runs it now. I was going to but I just chose something else. My mom was the CEO of Unilever. They worked alot. Never on weekends though" I smiled "They always reserved those days for me and for each other." I paused, hesitating on this next question. "Do you like your stepdad?"

He waited several seconds before answering "He's not a bad guy, I just dont think he knows how to be around us much, He barely spends time with Aurora or my mom. I kinda just wish he would make more effort to be with us than his job" He played with another lock of my hair. "Why did you come to Raleigh Sephrina?" He asked me cautiously. 

I was taken aback. "I told you, school" I said, my palms were beginning to sweat and I could feel my pulse quickening. 

"Sephrina" He said seriously "What's the real reason?" I stared at him for several seconds, wondering how to answer him without lying. 

"I needed to get away"

"From what?" He asked. I sat up, letting my hair fall over my face. 

"I just couldn't stand it here anymore. There were too many memories, I had to leave or I was afraid I would lose myself." I confessed. 

"Sephrina what memories?" He sat up next to me pulling my chin towards him. "You know you can tell me anything" He looked in my eyes. 

"I..I dont know" I said. Should I tell him? I cant just tell him the reason I left, the reason for my nightmares, my panic attacks, the screams. I can't burden him with these problems. "I'm sorry but I can't. I won't burden you" I looked at him sadly. 

"You could never burden me" He spoke softly, his face inches from mine "You know I care about you more than life itself" He whispered as he rose his hand to cup my cheek. My cheeks burned as I felt the blush appear. "Its my turn.. Will you kiss me?" I asked looking down at my hands "I just want to know if I can handle it, you don't have to--" His lips crashed onto mine, they were warm and his hands cupped my face as he parted his lips and kissed my bottom lip ever so gently. I gasped, the rush of emotion washed over me, this was magic. I felt the tingles in the tips of my fingers rise up to my head. I grabbed onto his shirt and pulled him closer to me. I needed this, the contact, I needed to feel like I was alive. and I felt it. I was alive with Leandor.