Author's Note

Welcome, intrepid reader!

This is Flare in the Darkness, which you should already know from the title. But what is Flare in the Darkness?

Flare in the Darkness is the tale of a legend. It is a tragedy with a purpose.

Reasons you might not want to read (unless you like torturing yourself, which some people do hehe):

> You aren't into Tolkien. (Not everybody is, and that's okay.) (I'm also embarrassed comparing myself to the master, but this is the most frequent complaint of my critics, so I have to put it out there for your sake.)

> Long descriptions/sentences make you zone out. (Honestly, I wrote this in 2017 and sometimes rereading I think I went overboard.)

> You want a book where most people survive. (Fair.)

This book is going on two years old. I love it and always will. It contains some of my dearest characters, tropes, and unrepresented/misrepresented elements in fiction. It is also info-heavy, with name-dropping, in-universe references, and untranslated fictional language, because I forget that not everyone knows my beloved Legea as well as I do. It will never be edited; it was a side project from the beginning and I do not have time to come back to it again.

Is this my best work? By no means. Is it a work from my heart? Yes.

Can you find the beauty in it?

I hope so.

Have fun reading!

*FLARE IN THE DARKNESS IS AN ORIGINAL WORK, AND AS SUCH IS PROTECTED BY U.S. COPYRIGHT LAW. THE IDEAS, CHARACTERS, AND PLACES WITHIN ARE SOLE PROPERTY OF VERITY A. BUCHANAN. THEY MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED IN ANY WAY WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION FROM THE AUTHOR, EXCEPT IN SHORT EXCERPTS(NOT EXCEEDING 2000 WORDS), SUCH AS MAY BE USED IN QUOTATIONS, REVIEWS, ETC.*

© Verity A. Buchanan, 2017. All Rights Reserved.