Chapter Nine: Treachery

The wind whistled cold over the mountains, blew across the misty tops of Galtha Relua and sailed unhindered until it reached a great cluster of peaks, humps of angry, jagged rock that split the rushing air and sent currents eddying down to the caves at their feet. A cold and a bitter refuge were the Thräel Haron, but the ugthoda recked little of that.

The drafts buffeted the man hastening through the boulders and snowdrifts. Accosted by two ugthoda, he halted briefly, exchanging words with them, and went on up to the grey stony faces that loomed over the cold, shadowed ground. He bent to enter one of the black fissures pitting the base. Down its sightless tunnel he made his way, a precarious journey of uncertain footing until he straightened in a small cavern, where the flames on the wall illumined a black, birdlike shape which turned and fixed him with glittering gaze.

The torchlight flickered in his dark eyes as he bent his head in deference. "Madiz."

"Lord Roharon. You are late in coming, ghinik-moz."

"I could not come sooner, my lord Madiz; I was detained in Serndol for more than a month." Lord Roharon's eyes were coolly apologetic. "Forgive me, my lord, for the absence, but you understand it is important that I maintain the trust of Holwena."

"Not at the expense of your usefulness," answered Madiz coldly, the words distorted through his hissing beak. "Aye, as to this Holwena, this daughter of the king. I heard nothing of her from you."

"'Twould be surprising if you had." Lord Roharon's tone remained undismayed. "I had scarce given her thought, I admit. I first took notice of her several months ago, soon before the king's death, and the doubt entered my mind. Even then, it astonished me how she was able to take up her father's role so wholly. But–" he held up his hand as Madiz began to hiss– "we have no need to fear anything from her. While she is alive, certainly, it will be most difficult for you to subdue Rothalon, but if she is rid of–"

"Then tell me, ghinik-moz, why you have not rid us of her already."

Lord Roharon shrugged. "If we kill her now, the country will recover itself before you can strike with proper force again. If we wait rather, until you have gathered your full strength, they will be utterly confounded. They will be as they were before she united them – helpless before your wrath, O Madiz."

Madiz spat. "Leave them alone! While they build up their own army in our absence and make ready to resist with all their full strength!"

"My lord Madiz, they are waiting for you to strike from the north. From the north you can hardly come again. Rather attack from the south; let them focus all their efforts on Galtha Relua, and their new city that they proudly plan to build, and lay your own plans in secret."

"So be it. I will hold you to it, Lord Roharon, that they continue to ply their defences in the north."

"I will not fail you, Madiz."

"Good. What tidings do you bring?"

"Little that you do not know now; there was a Lord Aegror who was desirous to join you, but I saw to it that he was executed for treason."

Madiz heard this, and after a brief silence he changed to man-form and strode toward Lord Roharon. "You saw to it? Was there a reason you did not let him be our ally?"

Lord Roharon shrugged again with his unconcerned air. "He was very untrustworthy, and more than anything he wanted the throne of Rothalon. Besides which, I only further proved my own loyalty to the queen."

Madiz' lips thinned. "Besides which, you retained all your reward and did not need to share it with a second. Very well; but another time, do not do that. The more the people's devotion to that hateful gri-moz is undermined, the better for us."

Lord Roharon held his displeasure beneath an impassive face. "Aye, my lord Madiz."

"Go." Madiz turned dismissively. "If you have naught further to say, we would not wish you to be suspected of desertion when you have established yourself so loyal to the queen."

Lord Roharon took the mockery in silence, bowed, and departed the caves.

~

Holwena sat before the window of her bedchamber, the brisk breeze of autumn brushing dark locks back from her face as she read the lightly penned parchment in her fingers.

My sister Holwena,

The news grieved me deeply. I could not eat for days. It was so sudden: our father gone, our mother, and even Corhin. I was also distressed to think what you were suffering, alone; I wanted to come, to comfort you, but it is so far to travel and I am still struggling to learn here.

We shall be wed in the spring, Holwena. Barin says he loves me very deeply, and I am sure he does, for he cannot look at me any longer without goggling like a foolish youth. And he is twenty-seven! He comforted me greatly after the news came, and we have been drawn close to one another. I believe I can make him a good wife.

I hope you are well, Holwena, and trust that you will reply as soon as may be.

Your loving sister,

Gleda, betrothed of Lord Barin

Holwena sat quietly, rereading the letter. Gradually she began to consider less its contents and more a certain question that had come to her through words caught in a conversation here and there, through looks and guesses and her own gift of intuition.

It was time to address the matter, she thought. If they desired this, they did not need to keep it a hushed secret.

She rose and left the room, walking down the cool halls.

In a colonnade she saw him, striding across the courtyard to her.

"Holwena Talnrë!"

"Lord Roharon!" she exclaimed. "Is Galdeol then also returned?"

He paused, seeming to collect himself. "Nay, not this time. Holwena – Talnrë – do you not think it is time you were considering marriage?"

For the first time since she had become queen, she stammered and could not think what to say. "My lord – I was going to speak to several others about the matter – but is this the most suitable place to discuss it?"

"You need discuss nothing. I wish to be your husband." He knelt gallantly and touched her fingertips with his. "I love you, Holwena Talnrë. Will you have me?"

"Lord Roharon! This is not the time, and not the place. Such a decision needs far more thought and weight on it than I can give you now."

"But Holwena Talnrë, do you not love me?"

"Lord Roharon, what a question! I have respected and admired you, certainly, but at this present moment I respect you very little. Enough, get up and leave!"

"Holwena–" he started, but she whirled and sped away down the hall, her chin lifted in outrage at his presumption. Never had she thought a man would dare to be so bold with her, much less Lord Roharon.

Maybe he truly does love me – or at least fancies himself so, she admitted to herself after she had wandered the outer courtyard some time, calming herself. If so, it is no wonder he acted foolishly, though I still cannot excuse him for that behaviour.

I cannot see that he could really love me as he thinks. It is best he leaves for awhile, perhaps; he may get over it in a place where he cannot embarrass himself so again.

_________________

I've been looking forward to this chapter for so long, you guys have no idea.

Anyway, you can know what "ghinik-moz" means now, if any of you remember the reference in Chapter Six. It's ugthoda language for "traitor man".

Also, I revised the summary for this story... again... sigh. (Why is it so hard?!?!) So any feedback on that would be much appreciated.