Chapter Seven: Hope Renewed

"My lady, Holwena Talnrë."

"Enter, Edhar." Holwena, seated in the dusky tent, rose as the general of the armies stepped in. He bowed and took her hand, pressing it to his forehead.

"Talnrë, the reinforcements from Edron-dol in the west and Lord Halfter to the south have come."

"That is well. Command them as you see fit, Edhar. I have faith in you."

"And we have it in you, my lady. There is naught that one of these warriors would not do for your sake."

"Then for my sake, Edhar, you must continue to press them on against the ugthoda. I shall not rest until they have fled our borders."

"My lady," he said softly and departed.

Holwena sat again and rested a tired head in her hand. How much there was to be done, and how little time in a day to do it all! She must be at every council of the war leaders, to hear and understand what was being done and approve all the battle plans before they were carried out.

But the reinforcements had arrived now; that alone was much to be glad for. They had struggled these four weeks to hold their position that they had gained, to give no further ground, but it had proved almost – almost impossible. And yet, Rothalon had done it. The army had not yielded again, and now fresh men were come, and there was hope.

It had been Lord Galdeol who left to call the reinforcements, she remembered suddenly; he would have returned now. A expectant light, one that was almost happy, flitted in Holwena's eyes and she ran lightly from the tent.

She knew how she needed him now that he had departed – even the thought of him had proved a small strength and solace in the dark days past. They had both lost so much, and had no need for a facade with one another. In his company she felt something of the father's love that she could never feel again, and for his part, she saw, she had given him a purpose in his life after the death of both his sons. He always walked wearily, and seldom did he smile, but he was ever a rock of comfort to any in distress. No longer did he move as one in grey, uncertain dreams, but as a man in the living world.

He was at the head of the arrivals, dismounting beside a dour-faced man, Lord Halfter, and exchanging words with him and Edhar. Lifting his head, he saw her and came quickly to her side.

"Holwena, you are well?"

"I am well, Lord Galdeol; tired, but well." She smiled, and her gaze strayed to the ranks of soldiers gathering before the tents.

He saw whence her eyes looked and laid a hand on her shoulder. "We shall yet conquer, riath."

Holwena nodded slowly; and she did not understand why, but something held her back from full conviction.

~

"We are indeed grateful, Talnrë, for all you have accomplished here." Lord Aegror spoke in a droning tone, his half-lidded eyes unpleasant and not at all grateful. "Of course, now that all is under rightful control here, and the army in balance once again–"

"Your point, Lord Aegror, is to say that I am no longer needed here?" Holwena asked, throwing a sharp glance from him all around the table of men.

"If your ladyship wishes to put it in such blunt terms," Lord Aegror acceded insolently.

Edhar came to his feet, his brows drawing together like angry lighting. "You will speak respectfully to Holwena Talnrë. She has done much."

"I did not deny it," retorted Lord Aegror.

"Words are one thing, tone another," said Edhar grimly.

Lord Galdeol struck the table with his hand, and instantly the tent was silent. None could recall seeing him aroused at any time before.

"General Edhar, Lord Aegror, enough," he said quietly. "Now it is not unreasonable that Holwena Talnrë should depart the army, for though she has done much indeed, she has been gone from Serndol a month and a se'enight now and there must be much to attend to there. I would counsel her to go, but she leaves us in the highest of honour and as one worthy of the crown of Rothalon."

"Aye," assented one in the ensuing silence; and around the table sounded "Aye".

Holwena dipped her head. "I will go, my lords. I thank you for your courtesy to me this time I have been among you, and your diligence to keep our army strong."

There was a general dispersal, and all left the tent save Galdeol, Edhar, and Holwena. She nodded to the two men, and departed.

"Such a strong child," Galdeol murmured.

Edhar turned to him, looking surprised. "A child? She is a woman."

Galdeol blinked with a look of rueful amusement. "She is both," he conceded. "Perhaps I see easier the daughter I would have had."

"So you see a daughter – and I what?"

Galdeol looked at him and smiled, a startlingly genuine smile. "Wife?"

"Now you laugh at me," said the general. "I am near three times her age."

"You are yet young," said Galdeol. The smile disappeared from his face, and he looked thoughtful as though he might say something; but he did not, and whatever he might have said was gone forever. Turning, he walked out.

~

Eventide settled blue and warming over the camp. Holwena sat alone in her own tent, running her fingers over the folded traveling clothes before her. The heavy tent fabric rustled questioningly; she stood up, calling, "Come in."

General Edhar stepped into the lantern's glow, his lean, hard features appearing uncertain and his grey eyes brooding. "You will be sorely missed, my lady. Our good wishes go with you to Serndol."

"You will manage them well without me, Edhar; fear not." Holwena smiled at him reassuringly. "I have done all I need here."

He gave the slightest of nods. "I apologize, Talnrë, for the disturbance in the council this afternoon."

She shook her head. "Do not sorrow over that, Edhar. You only wished to protect me. Go in peace, and lead the warriors of Rothalon into a new sun."

"Holwena Talnrë," he said gravely, with a forceful quietness. And kneeling, he brought her hand swiftly to his forehead.

The woman's heart in her trembled at the look of passionate adoration in his eyes, and the girl's mind did not quite understand why. But as he whirled and strode from the tent, she felt an unsettled sense within her.