2: ROSE

ROSE POV

I can't sleep.

I feel awake, alive, buzzing.

And so I climb out of the single bed and walk across the threadbare carpet of my private dorm. I grab my tanned leather jacket from the back of the chair, give a dark look to the big stack of library books on my desk, and head out into the corridor.

I tiptoe down the hallway - careful not to wake any of the other students - and slip into the stairway. As I do I'm sure I hear the click of another door closing down the corridor behind me. I pause, peer through the little window in the door, see nothing but shadows, shrug, and head down the stairs.

When I get outside I take a moment to feel the cool air brushing against my face. It's the summer semester and even at night the breeze brings with it all of its scents; pine, flowers, suntan lotion, the memory of grilled burgers. I don't know why but my senses seem so attuned to everything right now. Like everything before was just a dream.

I feel a grin spreading across my face.

Well, I'm awake now.

I start to walk the dark path through the grassy area that leads across campus. I'm heading to the place I always head to – the place where I'm sure I can get the answers I so badly desire. Tall trees line either side of it and the walkway is littered with debris from them plus the odd soda can. I pick one up and toss it into the nearest trash can.

Behind me I hear the snap of a twig.

I spin around.

There's no one there.

Yet I feel it– the burn in my skin, the prickle in my neck. There are eyes watching me.

Slowly I turn back around and continue my night time walk. Now I'm consciously listening though – waiting for any sign that I'm not alone.

It comes in the sound of a footprint.

I stop, my eyes still fixed straight ahead.

"I know you're there."

Silence.

Then...

"You do, do you?"

A male voice. There's amusement in it, arrogance too. It stirs a feeling inside of me that I cannot place.

I turn around.

Stood about a metre away from me is a guy, shrouded in shadow. He's tall – just over six foot, I'd say. What looks like a leather jacket hangs casually open from his broad shoulders.

"Don't be that guy," I say.

"What guy?"

I raise an eyebrow.