3: JACK

JACK POV

JACK POV

As I lay flat on my bed I shake my head, try to dispel her from my mind.

But I can't. It's impossible.

I've waited one hundred years for the reunion. And it finally happened.

I replay the fire in her eyes when we met outside, her stubborn arms folded, the way she sneaked off down another path once I'd put her off her original destination. She was heading to that house again. She always finds it – in every lifetime.

A smile plays about my lips.

She's still the same Rose. Even after all this time.

I fold my arms behind my head and flick my gaze over to the dorm's desk. The small black case that contains the curse sits atop it.

The time will come to give it to her soon.

But until then I allow myself to think of Rose.

***

The next evening I stroll across campus to the college bar. There's some student night on and I think she might be there. The sun is setting as I wander through the door into a wall of noise. My eyes skim the darkened room across the wooden tables, battered couches, and crowds of people.

I feel a pang of disappointment.

She's not here.

I head to the bar anyway, order a bottle of beer, and then frown as I spot a familiar face in the corner of the room. Matt gestures me over with his head - causing his man-bun to wobble - a smirk playing about his face. I take my drink and make my way over.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

He's laid back in his chair, a battered old box of old dominoes sits on the table in front of him. I take a seat and he raises a fair eyebrow, his blue eyes twinkling.

"Can't a guy come check on his buddy every once in a while?"

I give him a look.

"Not when I'm working," I feel a jolt of suspicion. "You're not checking up on me are you?!"

Matt leans forward, resting his elbow on the table.

"Chill, man. I'm here for work too."

He grabs the box of dominoes and begins taking them out, balancing them on their edge in a line on the scratched wooden table. Behind me the door opens and he glances up at me and gestures towards it.

I turn and my breath catches in my throat.

Rose.

She's wearing the same tanned leather jacket she wore yesterday over a thin strapped black top and ripped jeans. Her long blonde hair is tied back in a ponytail. She wore it short last century. It looks good both ways.