Chapter 10

“Simon, I need to speak with Simon.” I insisted, my words travelling through the video call I was hosting with Lewis.

  “Hold your horses, man! He can’t talk right now, he’s asleep! Good on him.” Xephos replied, shrugging after his response.

  “You don’t seem to understand,” I began, beating my fist once on the desk. “This is urgent, it can’t wait.”

  The brunette rubbed his forehead in frustration. He hesitated, then ran his hand down the anterior of his face. “Alright, hang on a minute.” He got up, leaving his own computer chair to spin. The man was gone several minutes before his place was taken by the dwarf.

  Simon adjusted the camera, facing downward. “Ah, if it isn’t the home of the lovebirds!” The lovey-dovey emphasis on the word sent chills up my spine.

  “I’m sorry?” I asked, having literally no clue what his comment meant.

  “You and Kim,” he said, making me turn my head to my apprentice, coming into the computer room via teleporter. “You two got it goin’ on, eh?”

  “Excuse me?” I began inquiring out of confusion. Kim came over in curiosity, sitting down on the corner of my chair that I wasn’t occupying.

  “Oh, you’re so made for each other. Ouch!” The last word was high, nearly just a squeak with no language.

  “She’s my apprentice, of course we’re… close…” I said, implying that our friendship was as far as our relationship had gone.

  “Yeah, sure. You’re ‘close.’” He created air quotes.

  “Lay off, Simon,” Kim interrupted. “What happens here is our business.” She immediately realized that wasn’t the best thing she could have said. The girl looked me in the eyes, showing a look of guilt.

  The dwarf slowly grew chipper. “Oh, look who spilled the beans!”

  “You know that’s not what she meant.” My defenses kicked in. Kim leaned, and I silently invited her to sit on my lap. When she was situated, I laid my chin on her shoulder.

  Honeydew found that motion delicious. He twitched his eyebrows, and then smirked.

  “Don’t say anything,” Kim suggested, her head tilting to gently rest on mine.

  “That’s impossible, you two are so cute!”

  I intervened almost instantly. “Uh, Kim… why don’t you go upstairs? I’ve got some official business for Simon and I to discuss.”

  My apprentice rose from my company and headed back to the teleporters. “Probably for the best.” Before she left, the black-haired girl rested her arms on my shoulders and hugged my neck from behind. “See you in the morning, Duncan.”