Chapter 11

Kim

  I walked to the South again, sneaking my way out of the castle. My footsteps were inaudible, and Duncan was upstairs, anyway. It wasn’t five minutes before I could see the lights of Royce’s home.

  “Royce,” I cooed, inviting myself inside. The welcoming aroma of a vanilla candle entered my nose, pulling me in like a singing mockingbird.

  The blonde appeared from the other room, smiling. “Welcome back,” he said, walking nonchalantly over to me. He curled my hair behind my ear. Something about him made me forget everything else in the world. Some phenomenon pulled me into him, made me forget my troubles, and caused me to remember what no one else could. His charm was unique, and I could swear I felt it in someone else. No one came to mind.

  “So what are we doing tonight?” My question emphasized the word ‘tonight’, showing that I had been enchanted by the other countless nights I had spent with him.

  He returned it with a charming comment. “Why don’t we let the night bring us somewhere special?” Royce removed his hand from my waist and moved it to my nose, quickly tapping the end of it and moving his hand back to its former position.

  I liked that in a guy. “Oh aren’t you something?”

  We both smiled and locked eyes. His dark teal eyes pulled me to him, and the brown strip of hair in the bangs of his dark blonde locks only made this moment better. With his hand in mine, my other hand on his shoulder, and his other hand on my waist, Royce made the night come to us.

  The waltz: my favorite dance. I didn’t know how, but he seemed to know exactly what I was thinking at all hours. We must have danced for thirty minutes before anyone said anything at all.

  “You’re a great dancer,” I commented, not laying eyes off of him.

  His romantic nature answered me. “I should say the same to you, and I will. You’re a great dancer.” I sighed in a gesture of true love. All of this must be true; never had anyone made me feel this way. This man was perfection from head to toe.

  “Can I tell you something?” I asked, still smirking in a sexy way.

  “Sure, anything.”

  “I like you…” I paused slightly, my words quiet.

  “Well,” he began. “I love you.” My heart skipped a beat. This craft of God loved me. No one had ever truly meant that when they said it to me, and this man certainly meant it. Or was all of this just like my other relationships? They charm you until they leave you face down in the dirt.

  My internal question left me quickly. We stopped dancing. He gazed into my brown eyes and I gazed back into the dark teal optics he had. I closed my eyes as he leaned down and closer to me. He brought my hand, the one in his own, close to his chest so it touched, and the other seemed to carry all my weight. The heat of him was so close to me, I could feel his lips coming closer and closer to mine.

Duncan

  I ran my left hand lazily through my hair as I woke up. Kim had sent me to sleep after I started making false observations of the world around me. It wasn’t like I had stayed up late, it was all a side effect of my concussion.

  I made my way slowly downstairs to the computer room where I assumed I would find my apprentice, but she wasn’t there.

  “Kim?” My calls echoed softly. When I didn’t get an answer, I started to search the castle. As my finds came up empty, I began to seriously question everything. I looked up to the clock: nine forty-seven. Wherever Kim was, she was required to be back by her curfew in thirteen minutes.

Kim

  Royce and I must have kissed for five minutes before he made his move. He grabbed my hand gently and dragged me into the other room: our lips still locked. When we got there, he pulled away from me and took his shirt off. Just as he threw it to the floor and showed his six-pack of abdominal muscles, I happened to glance over to the clock on the bedside table.

  “Oh, Royce!” I have to go!” I realized it was nine fifty-four. “I have a curfew, Duncan is going to flip if I’m not home.”

  “I can get you home on time, just stay with me,” he insisted, pulling me close to him again and kissing my neck.

  I pulled away from him. “How? You certainly can’t travel back in time!” I suddenly became spectacle when I saw the look on his face. “No way…”

  “You underestimate me,” he said, a sexy tone in his voice. We had migrated into the main room, and he crept closer to me as I slid my hand off of the front door’s handle.

  “Who are you?” I asked, not believing this man was normal anymore.

  Out of nowhere, the man disappeared before my eyes. It wasn’t three seconds before he reappeared behind me, his arms cradling me. His arms were now covered with a black coat, and I could see his brown hair falling into my peripheral vision. I pulled away quickly and he reached for my hand, but I didn’t let him touch me.

  “Ridgedog?” I clarified his identity aloud. Before me stood the demi-god: the one Duncan had cautioned me to avoid.

  “That’s right, it’s me,” he said, his tone calm and guilty.

  “I can’t believe you lied to me!” I yelled, attempting to pass by him and go through the door.

  Before I could, he disappeared and reappeared cradling in his arms again. “I knew you wouldn’t trust my true form, so I hid my identity,” he explained.

  I shook my head slightly. “Did you ever think that I might not care?” As I struggled to break free, he soon just let me go. He was obviously surprised by my remark. “To think I came to see you many nights before tonight! I guess no love is really true! If you really loved me, you would have done with all other people do: ask!”

  “Kim, I’m sorry,” he pleaded. “I didn’t realize you felt that way.”

  “And I never will again! You made me feel like someone actually loved me. I thought this was all true and forever. But no, all you’ve taught me is to look before I leap!”

  “You can still love me as Ridge, can’t you?”

  “You’re right, I’m sorry,” I said sarcastically. “I can love the true form of a man who has been lying to me for weeks!” Ridge didn’t say anything, just looked at me with a horrified expression. I took my chance. “Sorry, was I being too blunt? What I meant was, maybe I could have loved Ridgedog if he had showed me himself before Royce did!”

  “I’m sorry, Kim. Truly, I am.”

  “Don’t waste your breath or my time. Don’t think I’ll ever trust you again.”

  My disbelief had taken over. I now realized how anyone or anything could be a lie. How had I not known? Ridgedog’s personality had been right there, hitting me in the face the whole time and I didn’t take the hint. I had kissed that man without even knowing it. Nothing and no one stopped me from slamming the door behind me and running home, in tears, to Duncan.

Author's Note

Hey ladies and gents! I hope you liked this chapter. Also, if you like the Yogscast, try @ukulelegirl6's 'A Scarecrow's Revenge' and @FourOClock's 'I Will Always Find You.' If you haven't already, also read my Yogscast Fanfiction 'Bound to Science.' Thanks guys!