Training

"Go faster!" Bruce shouted, "Your opponent will not hesitate, and neither should you!"
    Dick and I were fighting a large robot. Bruce had it rigged to turn off as soon as we placed a strong blow to the three buttons on either side. It was meant to improve reflexes and strength, as well as make us a better team.
    "Keep on your side!" Dick exclaimed.
    I scoffed, "Last I heard, there were no sides!"
    Bruce had allowed me to wear my boots, but not my gloves, for fear of short-circuiting the robot. I had argued, of course, but ultimately relented. The boots helped me leap up and hit one of the buttons, completely disabling one side. Dick threw a few Batarangs and disabled his side at the same time. We both flipped out and landed in front of Batman.
    "Dick, you still weren't watching over your shoulder, and watch out for your leg placement," Bruce criticized, "Lucille, you were acting without thinking. You have to plan your moves ahead of time as well as anticipate your opponent, neither of which you did. You use your feet too much, and your hands not enough. You also forget to protect your left side, which gives you a weakness."
    Dick and I listened intently. I had no idea training would require so many lectures on everything I did wrong. Still, I didn't want to make him change his mind, so I simply nodded. Dick did the same.
    "Do it again."
    We did it five more times. By the end, my muscles were sore, but that only energized me. Bruce finally called off the robot. As it returned to its section of the cave, Bruce turned to the two of us.
    "You prove to be getting better at fighting the robo-training module, but that still does not prepare you for the unpredictableness of a biological foe," Bruce continued, "For that, you must fight someone else."
    Dick glanced at me, "She's still new, surely you don't want me to fight her."
    "He's just scared I'll kick his butt," I snickered.
    "Yeah, sure," Dick scoffed, "I've been doing this since I was nine."
    "I had a black belt in judo when I was six."
    "I've been an acrobat all my life."
    "Please, I've been a gymnast and a martial artist."
    "I've got a bo staff."
    "I've got electric gloves."
    "Children, enough," Bruce pushed us away from each other, "It is good training to fight each other. It builds both combat training and teamwork capability."
    I glanced up at him, "You actually want us to fight each other?"
    "I've fought him before, it's no big deal," Dick shrugged.
    Bruce nodded, "Hand-to-hand only. No electric weapons, bo staffs, or batarangs. Only hand-to-hand combat, got it?"
    Dick and I both nodded. Bruce stepped away from the ring, which really was just a clear patch of floor in The Batcave. Dick and I both readied ourselves, bringing up our fists and bouncing on our heels.
    "Don't worry, I'll go easy on you," he smiled.
    I chuckled, "That'll make this be over all the more quickly."
    "Yeah, once you're on the floor."
    "I won't be the one crying Uncle today."
    With that, we lunged at each other. Dick went for my stomach, but I blocked. As I did, he hit me in the side of the head as I kicked his ribcage. We both stumbled back before going at it again.
    We were a flurry of fists and shouts. At one point, I'm fairly sure I bit him. He flipped me over his head, to which I responded by kicking his feet out from under him. He simply pushed himself back up, kicking me as he did.
    For twenty minutes, we fought. In the end, Dick managed to kick my knees in. I fell on my face, giving him enough time to shove his knee inbetween my shoulder blades. He held my arms in his hands.
    "Ha!" Dick laughed, "Now who's the best?"
    I sneered, "I'm not saying that."
    "I won't let you up until you do."
    "You'll have to pee sometime."
    "So will you."
    "Enough," Bruce pulled Dick off of me, "Lucille, your coordination was sloppy. You looked away as you hit, and you pulled your punches. In a real battle, you would be dead within the first five seconds."
    I frowned, "Did I do anything right?"
    "What-?"
    "You keep saying I'm doing everything wrong," I placed my fists on my hips, "Did I do anything right?"
    Bruce stared at me for a moment. After clearing his throat, he said, "You prove well in dodging and surprise attacks. Your acrobatic skills are good, but good be improved, same with your punches, though your kicks are acceptable."
    I practically began to beam. Bruce righted himself, glancing between Dick and me, "Do it again. This time, don't pull your punches."
***
    "I signed you up at Gotham Academy."
    I nearly spat out my milk. Bruce had just walked into the kitchen where Dick and I were having breakfast. He was completely serious.
    "Really?" I asked.
    Bruce nodded, "You'll be in the same classes as Dick."
    "I did not expect that."
    "An education is just as important as training," Bruce sat down on the opposite side of the table, "If you're going to stay here, then you need to go to school."
    I fake-saluted, "Whatever you say, Batman Sir."
    Dick snorted, earning a glare from Bruce. Bruce opened the newspaper. On the front page, the headline spoke about how Joker was recently apprehended by Batgirl and an unknown adversary.
    "I convinced CPS to let me foster you," Bruce told me, "I have yet to take you on as my other ward, but that is not out of the question."
    I nearly dropped my spoon in my bowl. He was actually telling me that he might, if I stuck around long enough, take the actions to do one step behind adopting me. Of all the things I expected, that was not one of them. Honestly, I expected Bruce to train me and then let me go. Staying here longer, however, would be much better.
    "Cool," Dick said through a mouthful of cereal, "Is she going with me to school today?"
    Bruce nodded, "Yes. Lucille, your uniform is on your bed. Alfred will take you and Dick in a little under an hour."
    I nodded vigorously. This entire thing was turning out ten times better than I expected it to. So far, life was actually making a turn for the better.