The Big Question

My gloves and boots had been severely damaged during our encounter with Killer Croc. Turns out, water and electricity really don't mix. It took a lot to repair them, luckily Bruce let me use a fair amount of the tools in The Batcave.
    As I worked on them, Dick kept me company. He was practicing his acrobatic moves, bending and twisting into unnatural positions. I tried not to look at him, because it made me want to vomit.
    "Hey, Lucy, look!" Dick called.
    I glanced up, moving my goggles to the top of my forehead. Dick was bent backwards with his legs touching the top of his head. I did my best not to gag, "How are you still alive?"
    "Mom always said I was made of rubber."
    "She was right," I swallowed, "You're going to make me sick."
    Dick laughed. I returned to working on my weapons. I had been trying to think of a cool name for them, as they were my signature weapons. Batman had his Batarangs, Robin had his 'wingdings', I felt like I needed to name mine.
    "What about Electric Death?" I asked.
    Dick shrugged, "It's alright, but it sounds like some sort of plague. Plus, we don't kill people."
    "Right," I twisted one of the wires, "What about Blitz Boots."
    "What about the gloves?"
    I grumbled. Coming up with a name was harder than I thought. Dick flipped over, landing on one foot and bringing the other straight up. His flexibility was more than slightly disturbing.
    "You could always call them Shockers," Dick commented, "Or Convulsions."
    I furrowed my eyebrows, "This is more difficult that I thought."
    "Anything is better than Electric Death."
    I sighed, returning to the project. The wires were nearly completely fried, but salvageable. I remembered an old trick Mama taught me. It was a long shot, but, so far, it was working.
    "Children."
    Bruce came down the steps from the manor. Dick and I both glanced up, Dick stopping in his effort to put his foot behind his head. I pushed my goggles back again, gazing up at the man.
    "Everything alright, Bruce?" Dick asked.
    Bruce nodded, "Yes, Dick, everything is fine."
    "You say that, but I'm not sure if it's true," I added.
    "Lucille," he gazed at me, "You have been here for quite some time, and seem to have settled well. You work well with us, and I have come to consider you as a member of our team, as have Dick and Barbara."
    I lifted an eyebrow, "You're kicking me out, aren't you?"
    "No, actually," Bruce hesitated, "I know I can never fill the hole your parents left, but-if you're willing-I would like to take you on as my legal ward."
    I dropped my tools. Being someone's ward was one step down from being adopted. In a way, Bruce was offering to adopt me. Dick looked at me with bright eyes as I felt tears threatening to fall.
    "You mean it?" I asked.
    Bruce smiled, "Yes, if you're willing."
    My answer came in a hug. I rushed around the table to wrap my arms around Bruce's stomach. Bruce hugged back, surprisingly. I buried my face in his shirt, allowing the tears to fall.
    "Yes," I answered, "Yes, I would love that."
    He patted my shoulder, "Then, tomorrow, we go down to the courthouse and sign the papers."
    My joy was unparalleled that day. It was the happiest day I'd had since my parents died. I had once thought I would never find another family, but now, Bruce was giving me one. He was giving me the one thing I wanted most in the world.
    Someone to go home to.