Two: There's No Blood

“What?” I turned around, startled that someone had been there and I hadn’t known.

What I saw took my breath away. A man that look to be my age stood in front of me, with short brown hair and brown eyes. He wore a plain black boat neck shirt with some plain black jeans and plain black converse.

The man seemed amused. “You sat here all day doodling in the dirt. Don’t you have anything better to do?”

His lips were really pink and his complexion was tan. But what got me the most was his overwhelming British accent. How was he British if he actually seemed like a decent guy?

“Um..” I spluttered. “Um, I come here a lot,” I dusted off my shirt and pants just for something to do other than look in his eyes.

“Am I really that dazzling?” he chuckled, stepping closer to me. “What’s your name?”

“Ni-” I began, but cut myself off, narrowing my eyes. What if it was a trap? “What’s your name?”

“Liam Payne,” he replied. “Born on August 29, 3838, in New Britain.”

So he was British.

“Why should I trust you?” I asked suspiciously, taking a step back. “You’re… British. And I’m American.”

“C’mon,” he nagged. “A name, at least? Please?” his eyes searched mine expectantly.

“Niall Horan,” I mumbled. “Born on September 13, 3838, in New America.”

“Oh, a cute American boy,” he giggled. “Mum would like that.”

His words made me blush slightly and I thought of the fairy tales that kids watched almost two thousand years ago. Was this what it was supposed to be like? You meet a random stranger and trust them even though you’re not supposed to, and BOOM. You fall in love.

“Well, my mum wouldn’t approve of me talking to a cute British boy, so I’d best be off,” I told Liam, waving to him a bit as I turned away, but to my surprise, he grabbed my hand. “What’re you-?”

“I want to see you again,” he smiled down at me, making my heart skip a beat. He let go of my hand once he knew he had my attention, and I found myself sad at the lack of contact with this stranger.

“I’m sorry. I don’t mean to be rude, but that can’t happen,” I frowned, and looked at the ground before breaking into a run toward my house. He called after me, but I ignored him, because the feeling I got when he touched me was a completely new feeling, and regardless of whether I liked it or not, it scared me.

The whole way home, I thought about the Liam boy. In no way would I deny that he was extremely attractive, and that his offer to see him again had tempted me quite a bit, but I was American and he was British. What if we had to face each other on the battlefield? After all, we were both eighteen. At any time, the Army could call upon us to help with fighting and we couldn’t reject their proposal.

When I arrived at my house, I kicked off my shoes and carried them into my room before heading into the kitchen, where my mum stood, reading my letter. “How was your day, Niall?” she asked as she looked up.

“Lovely,” I told her in a distracted manner as I went to get a cup of water. “How was yours?”

“Great. Your dad chatted me on Skype and told me he’d informed the Head of Offense of the British troops. They’ve got soldiers stationed around Sage and it’s all taken care of,” she told me, smiling a sad smile.

“Where are Raine and Cooper?” I inquired.

“Raine’s in her room. I think Cooper’s probably in his room as well,” she said, watching as I walked away. “And Niall,” she continued. “You’ve got dirt on your bum.”