Five: From The Truth

The next day in the field, Liam was waiting for me, looking absolutely gorgeous in a tight blue boat neck shirt with some blue skinny jeans. “So did your mom find out?” he asked anxiously, taking my hand.

“No. I got home just before her,” I answered truthfully, then blushed at what Cooper said about me being in love with Liam.

“That’s a good thing,” he trailed off, then continued. “Can you take me to your home town? Please?”

His suggestion startled me. “You mean you want me to show you around Chikara?”

“Yes,” he nodded his head, holding my hand tighter.

Thinking about it, I sighed. “I’ll do it… on one condition. You can not go to my house.”

He was obviously about to protest, but seemed to think the better of it. “Okay. Lead the way.”

And with that, we were running hand in hand toward Chikara. We ran all around the city, observing everything. Many people looked at me with a strange expression because they’d never seen me before and then there I was, holding hands with a hot British boy, but I truthfully did not care. In fact, we even went into the superstore. Sleeping bags were hung up in the hunting/camping section, so Liam and I giggled as we hid behind them, and when people walked out, we jump in front of them and say crazy things like, “Hey. I’m a moon child,” and they’d give us dirty looks or laugh with us. Either way, we still enjoyed running around the store, feeding each other samples from the miniature tables that were set up with food on them.

Then we decided we’d go into one of the big business buildings and take the stairs all the way up to the top. Our breathless giggles were probably heard all the way from ground level, but we didn’t care. Once we made it to the top, we stood on the building, feeling fearless. Instead of going down afterward though, we stayed up there for a long time, enjoying the peace of being all alone in public. Liam put an arm around my waist and let me sit there tracing designs on his biceps as he watched the cars go by.

“Liam?” I asked. “Where do you live?”

He hesitated. “I used to live in New Exeter,” he told me, making my eyes widen, because New Exeter was one of the biggest capitals in Britain. “But we moved to Progenitor a few months back.”

That made my eyes widen even more… because Progenitor was an American city that the British had captured and it was very near Chikara.

“You live nearby,” I noted as I laid my head in his lap. Eyes sparkling, he started playing with my hair.

“Yes, I do, Niall,” the warmth in his voice was impossible to miss and I wondered if maybe, possibly, he liked me to the same degree I liked him. A moment later, he said, “We need to exchange phone numbers.”

“And why is that?” I smiled.

“Because I want to talk to you even after you have to go home. I want to sing you to sleep and hear your morning voice.”

Blush made my cheeks a deep red when he said that and I fought the temptation to giggle. He leaned down and rubbed his nose to mine in an Eskimo kiss, making me feel a bit light headed.

“Let’s go back to the field and then you’ll give me your number, okay?” he stood up and took my hand in his, pulling me up from the ground.

“Fine,” I sighed, but I was secretly happy that he wanted to exchange numbers. We walked back to the field this time, swinging our hands back and forth like a happy couple would do. When we were in the field, he pulled his phone from his pocket and lightly touched the screen, presumably to find his contacts button.