Six: Of A Thousand Lies

WARNING: *COUGH* EXTREME NIAM SEX ACTION

At the end of that week, I was allowed to leave the house again, though Mom didn’t know I’d been leaving the house anyway. But what surprised me, though, was when I walked into the front room on Saturday morning expecting the house to be quiet and I stumbled upon my mom crying, Raine passed out on the couch, and Cooper looking utterly confused. My phone vibrated in my pocket, but I didn’t care.

“What happened?” I spluttered, trying to make sense of what was going on as Cooper ran at me and hugged my legs.

“I woke up and checked the mail and found a letter from Sage,” she choked. “Telling me your dad is dead. And then out of nowhere Cooper runs in here telling me Raine passed out in the kitchen like she did the other day.”

My face paled when I head of this, and the only thing I could think to do was pull out my phone and text Liam.

Niall: Do you know medicines and illnesses and stuff?

Liam: Yeah. I studied it in high school for two years. Why?

Niall: Meet me at the field as soon as you can. Just do it.

Liam: K babe. I’ll see you there.

“Niall, who are you texting?” Mom asked angrily. “Your sister’s dying on the couch and you’re texting.”

“Mom, I need to go somewhere. I’ll find someone to help her. I promise, promise, promise he can help. Please. Let me go.”

Cooper burst into tears when I said that and Mom looked indecisive before pulling him off me and letting me bolt out the door. Thankfully my shoes were on because I’d decided on a different pair from what I usually wore and put them on in my room. Clouds were thickly blanketing the sky overhead, warning me that there would be a storm sometime today or tomorrow, but that was the last thing on my mind. As I ran, the reality of what my mom said sunk in. “I woke up and checked the mail and found a letter from Sage telling me your dad is dead.”

No. I refused to cry; I picked up my pace and reached the field quickly, only to find Liam was still there. “He’s dead,” I gasped, grabbing Liam’s shirt in fistfuls and pulling him close. “My dad is dead.”

Liam’s arms immediately wrapped around my waist as he held me tight up against his body. “Oh, God, Niall, I’m sorry,” he pressed his lips to my forehead and suddenly tears were pouring over my cheeks and I felt hot anger bubbling in the pits of my stomach.

“It’s all my fault,” I sobbed. “If I had joined the army and let my dad stay here-” I began, but got cut off.

“It is not your fault, you hear me?” Liam put his finger under my chin to make me face him. “There’s nothing you could do to change it.”

Searching for some kind of comfort in this cold, dark, world, I nudged his neck with my nose, but then remembered why I’d come here originally and looked up again. Liam’s shirt was wet, but I didn’t even care. A split second passed by and it seemed as if he was going to brush his lips against mine, but I ignored it because unfortunately, there were more important things at hand.

“Liam, we need to run like we’ve never run before.” I told him slowly.

“Why?”

“You’re going to meet my family,” was my reply as I took his hand and dragged him back the way I came.

“Why?” he asked again.

“Raine’s sick again,” I explained, more tears streaming down my face. Silence ensued as we ran faster than we’d ever run before just to get to my house. Bracing myself, I opened the door and kicked off my shoes. “Mom?”