Chapter 2 - Old Friends

Ed has been my boyfriend for around 8 months now. He studies Economics at Kings and lives in a house with his three friends; Sam, Toby and Michael, 10 minutes from my house on foot.

The house he lives in isn't as nice as my house, but he does pay remarkably less. There is mould on the kitchen ceiling and he has a hole in the wall of his bedroom, but apart from that, the house runs perfectly.

What's hilarious but frankly miraculous is that we've known each other for almost 8 years, but never really stayed in contact, apart from the occasional message now and again.

We saw each other again for the first time in 4 years about 10 months ago:

I was sitting in my bed, at home one Saturday, watching "The Big Bang Theory" on my laptop when Molly flew into my room, a huge grin spread across her face.

"Get out of bed, you're coming out with me." She skipped over to my bed and tugged on my arm.

I stopped the episode, pulled out my earphones, and turned my attention to Molly who was giggling and staring at me.

"How much have you had to drink already?" I questioned her.

"Oh not a lot!" She laughed.

"Really..." I rolled my eyes at her.

"Please come to this party with me." She moaned at me.

"You never said it was a party." I raised my eyebrows at her.

"Does it matter." She pouted.

The last thing I wanted to do right now was go to a party but I couldn't let Molly go out on her own.

"Fine." I sighed and slipped out of the warm, crisp sheets.

I walked over to my wardrobe and searched through my clothes to find an outfit.

Molly exited my room and I was left in silence, once again, to get ready.

I picked out a plain black dress and my favourite black heels, and accessorised the outfit with some blue feather earrings and a gold bracelet. I brushed my hair and decided to leave it down.

Just as I was putting on a coat and packing my small leather blue bag with essential items such as my phone and purse, Molly burst into my room.

"Come on let's go!" She said and pulled me out of my room.

We set off to the house where the party would be taking place. It was freezing outside and even though it was only a 15 minute walk, I'm glad I wore a coat.

We shortly arrived at the house and an excited and slightly drunken Molly opened the door and barged into the house.

The stench of alcohol and loud music filled my senses immediately as Molly led me through the hallway.

I followed her through to the kitchen and she headed straight to the cluster of alcohol on the work surfaces. She grabbed two cups from the side and filled them up with a fruit punch that was in a bowl.

"Here we go. I'm going to go and dance." She handed me my cup and walked off into another room.

I didn't get a chance to object as she practically ran away from me to join a group of guys that were talking and drinking in the corner of the room.

I stood by myself, glancing over at some of the other people in the room and thinking who to go and talk to. I didn't know any of them.

I lifted up my cup to my mouth and the liquid was about to touch my lips, when someone knocked me, making the cup fall out of my hands and drop onto the floor.

"Shit." I exclaimed.

I was about to reach down onto the floor to pick the cup back up when someone beat me to it.

"You wouldn't want to drink this anyway." A soft, low voice rang through my ears,

"Why not?" I pouted, slightly angry that I was being instructed not to drink something that almost everyone else was.

Who does this guy think he is?

"It's spiked." The boy smiled at me as he handed me my now empty cup.

"Oh..."

Even though I wanted to drink it, I was thankful that he had stopped me as I didn't really fancy drinking a spiked drink. Who knows what would have happened.

"My name's Ed." He grinned at me.

"I'm.."

"Emily, right?" He interrupted me.

"Yeah."

"How have you been? I haven't heard from you in ages."

"I'm doing great thanks." I smiled.

"So why are you here then? I didn't mean that no one wanted you here...I..."

"My friend Molly dragged me here." I laughed, interrupting him.

"My friend Sam dragged me here too. I don't live too far away though so it wasn't too much of an effort."

"Me too." I smiled and tucked a piece of loose hair behind my ear.

"So what do you study?" He asked me, his brown eyes gazing into mine.

"I'm doing Comparative Literature and Film Studies. What about you?"

"I'm studying Economics." He replied.

"Oh cool." I nodded and placed the empty cup that I was fiddling with in my hands, onto the work surface.

"I'm not such a great fan of parties. Do you fancy going somewhere quiet?" Ed asked me, after a short moment of silence.

Normally, I love parties but today I really didn't feel like dancing or getting drunk. I just felt like watching television in bed and eating brownies.

"I'd love to." I replied, before following Ed out of the room.

We found a quiet space in the garden, away from all the loud music and drunken students, and ended up talking for about two hours. It wasn't until Molly tapped me on the shoulder and insisted that we went home, that we said goodbye.

We swapped numbers, and sure enough, met up again for dinner about three days later.

And that's how Ed became my boyfriend.