Chapter 5

Brandon’s POV:

“Thanks again, man.” I watched Aiden leave taking my phone with him. Somehow, I felt like this plan would work. Aiden pulled out of the driveway and I returned to Callie who was finishing the last layer of paint for her room. “It looks great.”

“You think? I like it a lot. Thank you for helping me.” She leaned her head against my chest.

“Anytime. We can do the rest of the apartment later in the week. I can come over after school or even when you’re working and get some work done.”

“Would you really do that?” She asked surprised.

“Of course. Soon enough you’ll get your first paycheck and you’ll buy that kitchen table that you wanted. Then we’ll have breakfast and I’ll make you some pancakes.”

“I’d love that.”

“How about we order something in for dinner? We could have pizza or subs or something.”

“I could really go for some pizza actually. But you need to stop paying for me.” She nudged me slightly. I know she didn’t like me paying for her paint or for anything else that was for her for that matter. She’s doesn’t like having to live off of others. That’s one of the main reasons she chose to be on her own.

“I know you don’t like people always helping you out or assisting you with things, but I’m going to. I want to buy us dinner and so I will.” She had that look in her eyes that she was attempting to show she was mad but her eyes gave away that she did appreciate it, and that was enough for me.  “So pizza it is?” She nodded as she handed me her phone. Luckily I had the memorized the number of the pizza shop right down the street from ordering so much from there.

“I have a question…” Callie seemed hesitant and unsure.

“Yeah?”

“Why would you want to stay here tonight? Don’t say because you just want to spend time with me. I mean like, you could easily stay over in a few weeks when I actually have something for us to do. I literally have nothing here and you’ll be bored out of your mind.” She doubted herself a lot. She didn’t see that the only thing I cared about was being in her presence. I didn’t need the LCD TV or anything else for that matter.

“Come here.” I pulled her over to her bed and sat on the edge together. “I know you have a lot of doubts. I know that you feel like you need to impress me. But you don’t. I didn’t fall for the girl who needed to go out of her way. I fell for the beautiful girl who is sitting in front of me right now. I fell for you because you are you. Remember what I told you at the wedding? You’re amazing, and kind, and smart, and beautiful. I still mean all of that. You don’t need to worry about impressing me. I don’t care what we do or how bored we are, as long as I am around the girl I love, you, I couldn’t be happier.”

“I don’t deserve you. I really don’t.” A tear began to fall from her eye and down her cheek.