Chapter 7

Callie’s POV:

After weeks of not attending school at Anchor Beach, today was the day that I went back. I wasn’t sure what to expect. I knew I would see Mariana and Jesus. I would possibly see Jude, which I was hoping for even though he most likely still feels resentment towards me for not coming back. I’d also most likely run into Lena. And worst of all, I’d know I’d see Talya seeing as though we have a class together, with Brandon may I add, and another without him. Needless to say, today would be anything but boring.

I walked a few blocks on my own from my apartment with my bag draped over my shoulder. I attempted to avoid thinking about the long day that would lie ahead for me but failed miserably. I’d still be the outcast which would be no different. But now I’m the outcast who was sent back to juvie, then to a group home, and snuck around to date her foster brother. I’m not ashamed of sneaking around to be with Brandon or what I’ve been through. I just hate the stares and attention. I rather be an absolute nobody than a freak who everyone knows. But who cares what everyone thinks, right?

I sighed as I neared the school. Students walked around as happy as ever. Clearly I didn’t miss very much. I stood along the edge of the street waiting for the cars to finish passing so I could cross.

“Callie!” A high pitch squeal caught me off guard. Before I knew it arms were flung around me. “I miss you…how’s the apartment?” Mariana seemed to be happy to see me but also slightly disappointed still.

“Hey…it’s coming along. I have enough to get by for now.” Mariana nodded as Brandon saw the two of us talking and joined us. He placed his hand around my waist. Mariana’s eyes glanced down then back to my face. A boy tapped on Mariana’s shoulder with a face that showed he was totally crushing on her.

“I uh, I’ll see you later.” Mariana waved goodbye before she joined the boy and walked in the opposite direction.

“Who’s that?” I asked unsure as Brandon kissed my cheek.

“Zac. He worked with Mariana on the play.” I nodded as Brandon reached out his hand for mine to hold.

“Are you sure you want to hold my hand in front of everyone? I mean the last time I was here we were foster siblings. People might look at us weirdly. I mean I get those looks all the time but I wouldn’t want to do that to you.”

“Callie, there is a reason we are no longer sneaking around. I’m happy that we are together. I don’t want or need to hide that from everyone. If anyone has a problem with that then it’s their problem and they’ll just have to get over it.”  

I smiled before placing my hand in his and resting my head against his shoulder. Jesus walked by with Emma who I had briefly met at Frank’s funeral. The two headed towards the beach oblivious to the world around them. I guess things have changed since the last time I’ve been here. I wasn’t sure what else to expect.

“So, after school today I was thinking about bringing over that keyboard that I got yesterday. Would that be okay?” Brandon asked as we began to walk into school for the first time hand in hand.

“Sure. I don’t work until Wednesday so that works. I never did get to thank you for yesterday though. So, thank you for making me look good and for being my first customer. It means a lot.” I smiled. “Oh, my boss seems to think that you’re smitten by me.” I laughed slightly as Brandon’s face turned a deep shade of red.

“Well, I would say your boss would be correct.” It was cute seeing Brandon blush so much. I don’t think I’ve ever seen his face so red. His lips pecked mine quickly before we continued walking and turned the corner at the end of the hall and ran into Lena who was walking along side Jude and Connor. I felt my heart stop for a moment as Jude scanned the two of us. Lena was thrown a bit too with Brandon and me holding hands. I think I was even thrown back by this encounter.