Chapter 21

Callie’s POV:

“Hey girl, what are you doing here?” Daphne questioned as she watched Brandon and I walk through the door.

“I uh, I came to talk to you about something.” Daphne glanced over in our direction before walking out from behind the counter.

“I’m taking my break.” Daphne mentioned to the worker in the kitchen before motioning her head to follow her to the tables outside. “So, what’s up? How’s independent living?”

“Uh, it’s okay. Um, I uh…” I couldn’t think of how to say it. Brandon glanced over at me before resting his hand on mine. Daphne and I were never the closest. We were practically the furthest from that actually. But now we had a huge thing in common: having a child at such a young age and having a “troubled past.”

“Girl are you okay? You came here after not seeing me for like two months. You were honestly the last person I expected to see here. What’s going on?” Daphne was persistent.

“I’m uh- I’m pregnant.” I mumbled under my breath.

“You’re what?!” Daphne’s eyes widened. “You?” She redirected her attention to Brandon.

“Yes, Brandon.” I retorted defensively.

“Damn, Callie.” I could see the look of surprise in her eyes. “So uh, what does this have to do with me?”

“Well, you’re basically the only person that I could talk to about this. I know you’ve been working to get your daughter back.”

“So, you are asking me for advice about raising a child? Girl, did that pregnancy get to your head or something?” I frowned slightly. “Wait you’re legitimately serious right now.”

I nodded. “I know we aren’t close. But maybe we could try to be friends. I’m willing to put the past behind us if you are. I actually rather forget about juvie and everything like that with this baby.”

“Look, the best thing you can do is to make sure you can support him or her. You need to be responsible. Don’t be like me and end up in juvie after trying to find a way to support your child. That’s my biggest regret in life.”

“I know. I’m working at a music store now.”

“And I’m looking for a job.” Brandon added to the conversation.

“Good. That’s good. But since you’re still in independent living, you know that you and Brandon can’t live together right? You’re not allowed to have a roommate.”

I glanced at Brandon and I sighed deeply. “I’ll get emancipated. I can afford it now. I get paid tomorrow. That way I’ll be on my own.” The concept sounded simple enough. But that would also mean needing to pay for all of the bills once I was no longer on independent living. I glanced over to Brandon who didn’t seem too hopeful of the idea.

“Callie, can we really afford to be on our own and support a baby?” Brandon questioned.

“We’ll do it. I don’t want to live without you.”

“Well, uh, we’re hiring here right now. Brandon, you want a job? I can talk to my boss once you guys leave. He is typically lenient, especially with people going through a tough time. I can put a good word in for you.”

“Yeah, I’ll do anything!” Brandon’s tone changed completely with the sound of hope.

 “Would you really do that?” I asked, hopeful, glancing to Daphne then back to Brandon.

“Yeah, I know what it’s like raising a child. It’s not easy.” Daphne smiled slightly.

“Thank you, so so much.”