Danny's Monster

Please leave constructive feedback!

Donna is on her cell phone texting her daughter frantically. Kristine. I need you home!

What is it mom?

Danny.

On my way.

Danny is shaking like the branches of the trees when the powerful winds would come through here. Donna holds him close and rocks him as she sits in the kitchen chair. She is doing her best to hold it together but she can't contain the tears. For three years, she had hoped that Danny would speak again, that time would have healed him. But nothing had changed at all. And now, something had terrified him so badly that his body spasmed with each breath he took in.

"Oh, DannySweet, I'm right here".

Outside, the darkness is fully mature and the tops of the trees are the only parts visible in the forest, a silvery glow from the moon lighting them like Christmas tinsel. What is out there? she wonders. Did I really see somebody?

Danny continues shaking in her arms, but his movements are starting to temper a bit. She strokes the top of his head and looks out through the window, squinting at the distance. Of course, it's too dark to see anything. She looks away.

But then Donna remembers one strange afternoon when she stopped by Laura's house, just after she died. Her dad Leeland was acting very peculiar like his daughter's death was affecting him in a sort of dark way. He grabbed Donna and held her tightly like he was trying to dance with her.  It had been so weird. So uncomfortable.

Donna shakes her head as if to shake away the memory. He can't do anything to her. He's dead. But the thought does nothing to comfort her. She finds herself glancing over at the trees again and thinking of him. Now she trembles too.