twelve ↠ sarah

Sunday mornings are peaceful in our house. My dad lets himself sleep in, my mother lets herself not fix breakfast. If my brothers have been out late playing with their band, you won't even know they're around till noon.

But this Sunday, I woke up feeling weird. I had to do something to shake off the confused feelings about Jonathan that were starting to creep back in.

"You really did it, didn't you?" My dad smiled as he walked out of the door. I brushed the dirt off my gloves and took them off. "I'm proud of you."

"Thanks, Dad." I grinned. "Where you going?" I asked. My father looked as if he was dressed to visit someone special - considering his clothes were slightly smarter than usual.

"To see Daniel. It's his birthday." He replied.
"I wanna come with you." I said, standing up.
My dad chuckled. "Oh, honey, just enjoy the morning, stay with your mom."

"No, Dad. I wanna come." I said, firmly.
"Sweetheart, listen. Sometimes, with Daniel-"
"I'm coming, Dad." I interrupted. I wasn't letting him talk me out of this.
My father sighed before smiling. "Okay. We'd better leave a note for your mother."

In all of the years, I'd never visited my Uncle Daniel. I don't know why. It was always something my dad did alone.

We didn't say much to each other on the drive to Devonhurst, but I didn't care. I just liked being with my dad. Somehow the silence seemed to connect us in a way that words never could.

The residents tend to the grounds as part of their therapy. It takes some getting used to. They're good people, though.

"Daniel?" My father asked. "Daniel?"
The flap of the door suddenly opened, to reveal a pair of excited, brown eyes.

"Richard! You're here! Richard for my birthday!" He grinned, opening the door.

Once he saw my father, he began to jump up and down before pulling him into a big hug.

He pulled away once he saw me. "Who's that?" He questioned, backing away a little.

Richard put his hands on Daniel's shoulders to calm him down. "Daniel, Daniel, it's Sarah. It's my daughter - your niece. Sarah."

His eyes lit up. "Sarah!" Daniel held his arms out.
"Happy birthday, Uncle Daniel." I smiled, letting him pull me tightly close to his chest.

Daniel laughed. "Richard. It's my birthday! I have your pictures, Sarah. I have your pictures!" He said to me, making me giggle.

"We have a present for you." My father said.
"A puzzle? A puzzle, Richard?" Daniel eagerly asked.
"Not just a puzzle. A puzzle and a pinwheel!"

Daniel jumped up and down again. "A pinwheel! Thank you, Richard." However, he was quickly distracted by the sunlight beaming through the small window in the corner of his room.

He pointed at the window. "Outside? Outside, Richard?"
"You wanna go outside?" Richard asked. Daniel nodded, making his brother smile.

"All right, we'll go to McEIliot's! We'll walk out there for an ice cream." I announced.
"Ice cream... oh, no. No, no, we can't. Daniel doesn't like ice cream." My father sighed.

Daniel gave his brother a worried expression and frowned. "I-I do like ice cream, Richard."

My father stayed silent for a moment before laughing. "I'm only kidding. I know you like ice cream."

I grinned. "You love ice cream!"
"I do!" Daniel nodded, clapping his hands together.

***