•Chapter 6: Sickness•

After making the new deal with the Dark one a few days ago, the Ogres haven't moved any closer to the kingdom or to our camp. Despite this, we had been preparing for an unnecessary battle with the Ogres at the king's command. While I'd been preparing for the pointless fight that was taking place in the next few days, I'd also been thinking about the next knight to join the inner circle to help Wilbur, Jason, and I figure out how to succeed in battle.

As I place my newly made sword into its sheath, my mind finally decided on a knight to assist us that has been constantly loyal to every knight in the camp. Just as I was about to exit my tent, the flap opened to reveal Jason walking in with a bright smile on with face and his hand on the hilt of his sword.

"Have you picked another member yet?" he asked with curiosity in his eyes as he tried to stand as tall as he could in front of me.

"I was thinking about Ben," I answered as a smile formed on my face at the sight of the confidence beginning to take hold within the young knight, "what do you think?"

"I think that's a great idea, Sam. He's a great knight and well trained."

Before I could answer the boy, the flap to my tent opened once again, causing both Jason and me to turn our attention in the direction of the entrance to see Wilbur poked his head in.

"Have you decided on your next man?" he asked as he made his way into the tent before coming to a stop directly behind Jason.

"Just did," I told him before a playful smirk formed on my face, "didn't think you'd be so eager to find out the news considering you aren't announcing it."

"Don't let this get to your head, Sammy. Now, hurry up. It's time for the announcement," Wilbur scoffed before exiting the tent.

As soon as the captain was gone, I turned my attention away from the exit and to Jason, who was still staring at me with wide, eager eyes.

"Want to make the announcement with me?" I asked him, only to receive a rapid nod and a bright smile in response before a laugh escaped my lips. After playfully messing up the boy's head, the two of us walk side by side as we exit the tent. As soon as we get into the small clearing in the center of the camp, my eyes gaze at the small crowd that was in a semi-circle around Wilbur before I led Jason through our squadron to stand with the captain.

"Sam would like to announce the next member of his inner circle!" Wil told them just when Jason and I reached his side, causing the group of knights surrounding us to let out a loud cheer. Once they quieted down once again, I glanced down at the young knight at my side before the two of us stepped up to address the knights.

"We thought long and hard about who should join us. This knight has proved himself loyal countless times and has shown us how well he can fight against the Ogres," I said before I scanned the crowd of knights whose eyes were glued on Jason and me, "and we feel that Ben will fill this position well."

As soon as the name left my lips, the crowd roared before basically tackling Ben to the floor. At the sight of the pile on top of Ben, Wilbur, Jason, and I laughed before the captain of the squadron stepped forward once more.

"I have one more announcement!" he shouted, drawing their attention back to him before I watched his small smile slowly wither away, "sickness has been infecting neighboring camps and has hit a few of our own. Just remember to take care of yourselves. We need healthy knights if we're going to win this war."

When he finished speaking, the crowd murmured in response before they dispersed and went back to their normal routines. Just as I was about to leave with Jason, Wilbur called me back, causing me to send him a confused look before I dismissed Jason. As soon as the young knight was out of sight, I turned my attention back to Wilbur to see a hint of sadness in his eyes that he was trying to hide.

"One of the younger knights has been infected by the illness," he told me, causing my blood to run cold while my eyes stayed glued to the man in front of me, "it's Logan. The doctors say he isn't going to make it."

"How did he get it?" I asked in a raspy voice due to my throat going dry.

"His brother was infected a few days ago. Logan spent the last two days with him until his brother passed. The illness...there isn't a cure. Once you get it, you only have a day or two left, if even that."

★★★

It was a long night. It was hard watching the life drain out of him without being able to do anything. He passed about four hours after I went to his tent. It was the toughest thing I had to do. He was only fourteen.

"Sam!" Wilbur shouted in panic as he entered my tent, "the young knights. Five of them are sick."

"Jason?"

"He's one of them."

Panic coursed throughout my veins as I jumped out of bed then sprinted out of my tent. As soon as I reached the medic's tent, I rushed in, only for my eyes to land on Ethan, who was lying motionless in his bed. After letting out a shaky breath, I hesitantly walked over to him before sitting on the stool near him.

"Hey, Willi," I whispered, causing his eyes to slowly opened as a small smile made its way to his face when his attention landed on me, "How're you feeling?"

"I've been better."

"I know. You're going to be okay."

"I know what happens to those who get this Sam," he said just as he had a coughing fit before his eyes landed on me once again, "you don't need to give me false hope."

At the sight of the young knight, I could feel tears beginning to form in my eyes and did my best to hide them. After staring at Jason for a moment longer, my attention turned to the other beds that were along the side of the tent that held the other young knights. None of them deserved this.

The next few hours were not great and were filled with final goodbyes and tears. After Fredrick, it was Richard, then Bradley, and, lastly, Christopher. I shared their last words with all of them. I didn't let a single one leave this earth alone. Jason was pushing hard to survive and I haven't let go of his hand since Christopher passed. He had his eyes closed and began was mumbling some words before I looked up at him so see him smiling at me and I returned the smile.

"You're were the brother I always wanted," he whispered as his grip on my hand begin to weaken, "thanks for always believing in me."

"Jason-"

"Kick some Ogre butt for me."

Then, he was gone.

★★★

Five knights carried Logan, Fredrick, Richard, Bradley, and Christopher to the burial site as I carried Jason. We placed them in the six holes and gently covered them in dirt. The group of knights surrounded them as Wil started his speech.

"These six knights will be missed greatly," Wil started, "they put in a countless amount of hours in order to succeed. Logan, fourteen, was great with a sword and would have easily risked his life for any of us. Fredrick, fifteen, was funny and caring. He would always make sure the rest of his young knights were taken care of and trained well. Richard, fourteen, always took criticism well so he could become what he always wanted. The leader of his own group of knights. Bradley, thirteen, twin of Jeremy, was the funniest of the knights and knew how to have fun; however, never let that get in the way of his training. Christopher, thirteen, was quiet and kept to himself; however, he trained just as hard as the next knight in order to become successful. Lastly, Ethan, twelve, Sam's right-hand man, he was timid and scared of the world around him; however, we all know he was dedicated to being a knight and helped Sam bring safety to this kingdom. They all were brave and honorable knights. We must keep them in our hearts as we go into battle."