CHAPTER 2

★★★

Chapter 2The Great Escape

Chapter 2
The Great Escape

★★★

THREE YEARS LATER

Nothing had changed since Katherine discovered the reason she was living in a nightmare. The Dark One acted as if it never happened but the young girl couldn't get the binding scroll out of her head. Every time she was in that room, Katherine felt the need to reread the contract. It was as if she needed to confirm she wasn't dreaming when she first read it. But no matter how much she wanted to feel that scroll in my hands again, the redhead never had enough courage to open the drawer again.

Part of Katherine wanted to believe that it wasn't real and that she really was dreaming. She wanted to believe that no one was cruel enough to hand a baby over to the cruelest man to ever roam the earth.

The only noticeable difference between then and now was the amount of time Katherine spent in her cell. She soon discovered that the older she got, the less the Dark One let her freely roam around his castle. The redhead didn't know why but it never really bothered her. Katherine was used to being alone. The Dark One would only ever talk to Katherine if he needed something from her. However, Belle was a different story.

To Katherine's surprise, she and Belle had grown closer since the day the redhead discovered the contract. Whether it's because the woman felt bad for the girl or because the former could understand her situation, she'll never know. Katherine just thought it was nice to have a conversation with someone who wasn't stuck inside her head.

Even though talking with Belle distracted her from her everyday life, Katherine would always be sucked back into reality in the end thanks to Rumplestiltskin.

★★★

Like every other day this past week, Katherine was sweeping the floors of the many unused rooms of the Dark One's castle. Unlike every other day this past week, she wasn't alone. Belle was dusting the bookshelves that filled every inch from the dark wood floors to the stone ceiling. As she swept the dust-covered floors, the redhead's eyes wandered out the window just like they did every time she was near one. Normally, all she would see were birds flying or rabbits hopping around on the forest floor. But this wasn't a very normal day for Katherine.

Instead of the small animals that always brought a smile to her face, the young girl saw a pair of knights slowly approaching the castle. Her eyes stayed glued to them as they stopped in the distance and stared at the castle before continuing on with their journey until they ended up right in front of the giant wooden doors.

"What do you think they're here for?" Katherine asked, causing Belle to stop what she was doing and jump down from the ladder she was on then she made her way across the room to look out the window with the girl.