1. Rumble In Brighton High Tonight

Rumble In Brighton High Tonight

'Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.' – Norman Cousins

R E X

I kneaded the cigarette between my fingers, looking at it.

"Come on, man," Harry hit my arm and a fire burst in my veins. Calm it, Rex. He's just being friendly. "There's like twenty girls in there hoping to get lucky with you tonight. Just come in with us."

I'd rather eat my vomit than be seen with Harry and Preston, but I faked a smile. I knew I looked sarcastic.

"That's a hyperbole if I've ever heard one," I lit the cigarette and slipped it between my lips. "I'm sure girls get really turned on when guys break other peoples' collarbones."

They both laughed – guffawed actually, like baboons. I closed my eyes and blew the smoke in their faces. I didn't see what was so funny – the fact I'd broken football-brain Clive's collarbone just last week, by slamming him down onto a desk. He'd punched me first and I was merely defending myself.

I suppose that's a first though.

"Well, I saw Veronica eyeing me earlier so I'm gonna get a piece," Preston smirked, waving, as he started down the path.

"Be careful, remember once you lose your virginity there's no getting it back!" I raised my voice.

Harry laughed and clapped Preston on the back and Preston shouted something in annoyance, but I switched off and leaned my head back against the wall.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

That's what this disco was. That's what anything this school tried to do was.

The only reason I was here was because my father had called up the school and threatened Principal Duvane. I was supposed to be at home, suspended due to the collarbone incident. I would've preferred to be at home, considering my father was hardly ever there, but here I was thanks to dad's sore ego.

There was noise up ahead, at the road across from the hall. I looked up, but it was dark out, so I took a few steps towards the lights of the front entrance. I could see a car parked out the front, the engine still roaring lowly. The shadows of walking footballs or, in my language, assholes, were congregated around the driver's side, laughing and hooting and being general pests.

I turned and dropped the cigarette. Stepped on it.

I wondered what would happen if I threw a lit one into the grass. Would it set the hall on fire? I'd probably laugh.

I heard a shrill shriek and that made me snap around, and squint into the darkness again. A boy was holding a girl tightly, one hand gripping her chin and forcing her to look at him.