1. ATTRACTION

Era

My life could be compared to my bedroom wall - plain and boring. I had no boyfriend since birth, no sex life, no nightlife. Thanks to Mom's supervision who was so strict and conservative, causing me to feel distressed occasionally... fine, frequently!

Not until one day...

"I got my promotion!" Mom gushed as she entered the living room. She took off her heels and walked through the kitchen in bare feet, reaching for the fridge. She was holding a glass of brown liquor in her hand when she exited the kitchen. So it's really a celebration. Bad thing she wouldn't allow me to drink that.

"Nice. Congrats." I responded softly without even looking at her.

I was happy for her. She had been working for years, and that promotion was like a knight in shining armor whom she had been anticipating to come one day. So I bet she'd do anything just to maintain that profile status.

"Not just that, Era..." She sat beside me and sighed before reaching for my hand. "It means I'm leaving."

Like what I said - anything. Even though it meant she would be skipping my upcoming birthday.

Uncertain of what I'd just heard, I closed my laptop and raised my head to Mom. "Y-you'll what?"

"Our branch in Alberta needs a new manager. The company picks me."

Mixed thoughts swirled inside my mind. If Mom left, then I'd be free at last! I would be able to go with my friends and spice up my bald world. Yes, I'm seventeen. Too young to do some shits. But I wanted to live like an adult. After all, I'd be turning eighteen a few weeks from now.

But on the other side, I would be living all alone. Alone! Who would prepare my food since my cooking skill was lacking bigtime? I couldn't even handle the laundry. And how could I ever sleep at night knowing that no one's around? What if a robber just crashed in and killed me? What if the apartment was burnt down in the middle of my sleep?

The hell, I can't be all alone or else I'll die!

"Are you listening, Era?" She tilted her head and frowned at my pale expression.

"Y-yeah." My voice sounded weaker but I forced a smile as I stood up from the carpet. "I just thought... I can't handle the house just by myself. I'm a total dependent."

She pulled out a deep breath and sighed. "Don't worry, I'm not letting you live here on your own. Someone's gonna keep an eye on you while I'm away, okay?"

I suspended and turned my head back to her. "You mean Cora's moving in here? Wow, that'll be great! I can't wait to-"

"Absolutely no! She's just a kid like you." She walked towards me and placed her hands on my shoulder. "I'll send your dad here. He's gonna be watching you."

My eyes grew big upon hearing that. "M-my, dad? Wait, you said he died from a car accident when I was four."

"Era, let me explain..."

Mom opened some parts of her past. She said they were together back in college but when she got pregnant at the age of nineteen, he dumped her. My stupid father left her with nothing but an innocent human being inside Mom's body.