TPW// chapter four

I DIDN'T KNOW WHETHER I'd have the strength to not fall asleep as whoever the supply at the front of the class kept reinforcing over and over the importance of protection. We get it. It's pretty pointless in itself because most people had already done the deed, possibly years ago.

"We don't" *breathe* "need" *breathe* "anymore" *breathe* "of you" *breathe* "running around" *breathe* "yet." I seriously think she needs to get that checked out.

Her voice sounded like Roz out of Monsters Inc. (that slug woman). Even acted a lot like her too: grouchy, constantly in a mood and had this monotone voice that sounded like a buzz in your ear. It was almost unbearable.

"Eugh, we get it," a blonde muttered beside me, obviously having had enough of this woman's insistent voice and prolonged lesson.

I gave her a quick glance; she was leaning back slightly on the chair with her hand placed protectively over a small bump forming on her stomach. I suppose Ms Whatever Her Names's so called lesson was a tad late.

She turned her focus to me, feeling my gaze. I didn't want to cause offence or portray the wrong message, so I subtly looked away.

Her blonde hair framed her face and I was a bit jealous that a girl could look so beautiful make up free and however many months pregnant. I wondered what her parents had said when she had told them, how her friends had reacted.

"5 months," she spoke, answering my unasked question.

I looked at her quizzically for a moment, "Are you excited?" I inquired.

She breathed a laugh. "You know you're possibly the first person that's asked that." She continued, "with most people it's either 'you're ruining your life' or 'what are you going to do? Rather than actually caring enough to wonder if I'm happy. To answer your question: yes, I am excited."

"That's a priority," I whispered, feeling the teacher's eyes rove over to us. "Is the father too?" I knew this might be considered quite insensitive and intrusive but I wasn't going to force an answer out of her.

"Yeah," her face broke into a smile. "He's working an extra job to help provide for her. I know my situation isn't the best, but I really couldn't be happier." I smiled at this. You make of what you have. I found it endearing to see how much this girl, despite her situation, was seeing the bright side and looking forward to the future.

"I'm happy for you. You can show this cow," I pointed to the sluggish woman. "That not all teenage mums are irresponsible and raising a decent child can be done." By now, she was saying how we weren't mature enough to handle a child etc.

The girl turned to me again and surprised me with a hug. "Thank you," she said, still embracing me with surprising firmness. I returned the hug, gingerly, hoping not to hurt her. Once she pulled away, I saw a small tear trailing down her face. "Sorry, it's the hormones."

I chuckled. "Don't apologise. Use it to your advantage," I whispered again, inconspicuously pulling out a fresh tissue from my bag and handing it to her. She thanked me before dabbing at her eyes.

"My name's Meg by the way," she introduced, holding out her hand. Her blue eyes still glistened with unshed tears under these fluorescent lights and I wondered how anyone could ever stay annoyed at a face so sweet.

Meeting my hand with hers, I also introduced myself, "Ashlyn."

I sensed the devil woman watching us, her eyes squinting to see us at the back. She acted like we hadn't heard this 'talk' a hundred times before. Not particularly feeling in the mood for a telling off, I pretended to pay attention the remainder of the lesson.