Old Demons Arise

Chapter Fourteen

Music was pulsing out of the house when we got back. Dom hadn't spoken a word to me the whole trip and I knew he wouldn't. He probably wouldn't say a word until my brother said he could. The purpose of this party was clear. My brother was holding it so everyone would know I'd gotten exactly what one gets when they talk to cops. No one was an exception.

Everyone outside went quiet as I got out of the car. I kept my head bowed as Dom escorted me up to the house but then disappeared inside before I even crossed the threshold.

No one said anything to me as I walked in, both of my arms still crossed over my chest. I walked across the entry way and then started up the stairs, fully planning on disappearing into my room so I could sleep.

Dom stopped me as he stood on the third step. "Stay downstairs."

"I wanna go to bed."

"Stay. Down. Stairs."

A point was going to be made and I wasn't going to bed until it was done. I backed down the three stairs I'd gone up and hoped, prayed, I could find a corner to crawl into until the point my brother was making was over.

I went to the kitchen, not even looking at anything as I passed through to get to the back door.

But one of my brother's other lieutenants stepped into my path, arms crossed over his chest.

"Stay inside."

He was caging me in and I knew what would come next. I quickly made my way back to the living room and as I tried to sink into a corner, another body moved into my way. "Stay in the open."

When I tried to sit down. "Stay standing."

All the members who were in front of me stepped in my direction and I backed up, only to bump into someone else. I whirled to look and there was a solid wall of muscle behind me. They quickly circled me in, all having their arms crossed over their chests.

"We are..." half of them said.

"The Spanish Thorns," the other half answered.

"And we do not..."

"Talk to cops."

I was shoved from behind and I stumbled forward. They were so tight together that I couldn't move a few steps before I ran into someone else. That person shoved me too and it continued, me being shoved around the circle until I lost my balance and fell to my knees. I remained quiet the whole time and as I tried to capture my breath, I wasn't surprised when I felt a barrel press against the back of my head.

"We do not allow snitches in our ranks."

That voice cut deeper than any knife my brother could sink into my skin. Rey was the one behind the gun, the one who would be pulling the trigger. My luck had run out.

"No hay excepciones."There are no exceptions.

"She didn't tell them anything!" I heard Michelle scream over the silent cluster of bodies. The music had been stopped so everyone could hear what was being said. "Nothing!"

The gun was cocked and I squeezed my eyes closed. The only thing I hoped for was that my brother would be able to forgive himself for this.

"Don't!" she screamed. "Rey! Don't!"

I remained silent, knowing no amount of begging or pleading would change the orders Rey was given. I tried to picture something happy and a memory of my childhood popped up. By chance, both of my parents got a Friday off at the same time. It was during the summer and they decided to take my brother, Dom, and I to the park.