Don't Ask Questions

Chapter Twenty-Eight

Despite still being hurt, Rey insisted he drive, which of course meant we took his motorcycle. Normally I would be more than happy to participate in something that gave me a sense of freedom but I didn't want him to hurt more than he already was. When I hesitated to get on the back of the motorcycle, he shot me a glare that would wither any flower.

"I don't think..."

"Get on the bike willingly or I'll hog tie you and put you there myself."

"There's no reason to be forceful about it."

With more reluctance than I've ever done anything in my life, I got on the back of his bike. The only reaction I got as I gently wrapped my arms around his waist was his muscles tensing up. After he got accustomed to me being there, he pulled me tighter against him and let out a breath. This was going to be ok or at least I hoped it would.

I expected we'd go to the station or the courthouse or something since this was Dr. Seuss related but nope. He pulled into a bar downtown, a bar that was pretty much packed. The parking lot was almost full but we managed to find a space towards the back of the lot. I was wearing my own leather jacket and jean shorts. Not exactly my sexiest outfit but he said we weren't going to be out long. I wanted something that would be easy to switch out when we got back so I could go straight to bed. Hence the reason why I had on one of his tanks I'd snagged over the week and a pair of Converses.

"You know, if you told me we were going to a bar, I would've worn something different."

"What you're wearing is fine." He nuzzled the side of my throat before pulling back and offering me his hand. "We're not staying long and you're not drinking."

"Because I'm underage?"

"Because I said so."

"Just one glass of wine?" I held up a finger as I took his hand. "Come on, I think I deserve a little bit of alcohol."

"Let me think about that...no."

"You're such a downer."

He pulled open the door and I was instantly hit with the smell of stale peanuts and foamy beer. Even if I wanted a drink of dry wine, I highly doubted this was a place that served that kind of stuff. Rey led the way inside and through the crowd; several of the drunken patrons giving me looks I didn't reciprocate and Rey glared at them for. He was definitely keeping up with the overprotective manner he'd maintained for the past couple of days.

I wasn't surprised when I spotted a familiar pinstriped suit hunched over the bar.

Rey paused and pulled me forward, arching our linked hands above my head so I was walking in front of him instead of behind.

"Take the space next to him," he said. He didn't even have to whisper it was so loud in here.

I stepped up to the bar between Houston and the rather slutty girl sitting next to him. To my surprise, Rey didn't stay behind me like I thought he would but stood next to me so he was facing the girl and I was forced to face Houston.

"Have court again?" I quipped.

"You could say that." Houston glanced at me and smiled. "How are you feeling?"

"Rey's not letting me drink."

"Smart man considering you're underage. I highly doubt his handler approved the aiding in the delinquency of a minor."

"You make it sound as if I'm a child. In the eyes of the law, I'm considered an adult."

"Not enough of one to be drinking."