Little Taste Of Heaven

Chapter Twenty-Seven

The nurse came in a few seconds after my brother said his snide remark concerning my loyalty and love. She didn't like the atmosphere they were creating or the signs on the heart monitor that I was getting upset so she chased them both out.

"When you can act properly, I'll let you back in," she snapped.

"Alright, alright, lady," my brother said. "Just let me give her a kiss and I'll go."

She glared at him as he walked back over and gently placed a kiss on my cheek. "We need to talk. You're in deep shit."

After that he left, giving me a look to punctuate the meaning behind his words as he passed through the door. I closed my eyes and rested my head back. This situation couldn't get any more complicated if I dreamed it. The nurse clicked her tongue and checked the IV fluids. "That boy is dangerous, girl. You should stay away from him if you know what's good for you."

"I would if I could but I can't."

"Says who? He's just a boy, darlin'. There are plenty more fish in the sea, trust me."

"He's my brother. I can't get rid of him."

She laughed. "I know the feeling. My brother isn't much better. By the way, you have another visitor. He's been causing a stink down the hall for the past hour or so."

I opened my eyes and smiled at her. "Does he have 'Game Over' tattooed on his fingers?"

"That would be the one. Worst patient I've had in a while. Do you want me to bring him in?"

"Please? I think it would be easier on you if you did."

She patted me on the shoulder. "You're a good girl. Your choice of men is questionable but you're sweet nonetheless. I'll be right back with Mr. Cranky."

There was yelling ten minutes later outside my door. The voices were a little muffled but I heard Rey say he could walk right before the door opened. A sight I never thought I would see rolled into my room, making me scramble to hide the laughter humming in my chest.

"Wow. Isn't it Mr. Sunshine."

She parked him next to me and patted his shoulder. "Try not to go anywhere," she joked.

He glared at her as she left the room, not finding her at all funny. The moment the door closed, he was up out of the wheelchair, throwing the blanket off his lap like it was a disease. But since he evacuated the thing like it was a hot potato, he tweaked his burn and ended up wincing.

"You should watch the first step," I commented. "I hear it's a dozy."

It was my turn to receive the glare as he walked around the bed and took the spot my brother had occupied. I tried to be careful as I curled up against him but his breathing was shallow and I worried maybe this wasn't the best position for us to be in.

"Are you ok?" he asked.

"Apparently my brain is trying to be bigger than my skull. You?"

"Nothing I can't handle." He tilted my head up so he could look me in the eyes. "I was worried when you didn't come back. Vince came in and said they were admitting you for a TBI and elevated intracranial pressure."

"Those are really big words." I smiled. "I'm fine. Not supposed to think too much though. I'm supposed to remain calm."

"Well," the smirk that lifted his lips was cocky, "I can help you with the non-thinking part."