Irresistible Offer

This is part of a fiction profolio from my creative writing class. It is a Pirates of the Caribbean fanfiction.

Irresistible Offer

    Fifteen year old James Turner stood staring out at the ocean, he had been in the middle of fishing when he noticed an approaching dark silhouette coming towards the island. As it drew closer he was able to that it was a small ship manned by one figure who stood on the deck.

    “Mother!” He shouted running from the beach and towards their home. “There’s a ship near the harbour! It must be father!” James’s father had only visited once in his lifetime and had only stayed a day. Ever since then James has been waiting for the day he would see the mysterious man again.

    At the mention of Will, Elizabeth ran towards the beach to see if it was true. It’s only been five years, she thought as she looked out towards the ocean. Suddenly she recognized the impending figure, “James get in the house and do not come out no matter what.” She took a deep breath, “This is not your father.”

    James’s heart fell at the sentence and decided to stay and hide behind rock on the beach and learn just who this mysterious man is.

    Elizabeth had been known to be overprotective of her son since he was the only thing she had left. He heard her stories of saving his father on the crossing from England and how he had worked in a blacksmith shop before they married and had him. His father had to go away for business and could only return every ten years. He knew something was missing but never wanted to ask.

    At the sound of a gun James looked up and saw Elizabeth holding a pistol at the man. “Aw, Elizabeth just like old times. You holding a pistol to my head and trying to get rid of me.”

    “What are you doing here, Jack?” Elizabeth asked as she watched the drunk pirate stumble up the beach towards her.

    “You never did know how to be polite towards visitors.”He smirked at her but dropped it the moment he noticed her glare. He gaze moved around and landed on the boy crouched behind the barrels watching the exchange. “Who’s that?”

    Elizabeth put down the gun and crossed her arms defensively, “My son.”

    Jack nodded, “What’s your name, boy?”

    James came out of his hiding spot, “James Turner.”

    Jack stalked towards the boy, “Does your mother get on your nerves?”

    “Jack!” Elizabeth shrieked. “Leave now!”

    “Why? I am just asking a question.” He turned his attention back to James, “Does her overprotectiveness suffocate you? Do all you want to do is escape and have adventures?” James unconsciously nodded at the pirate’s words. “How would you feel about going on adventure with me?”

“No.” Elizabeth interjected.

“Elizabeth, please! I was not asking you!”

James ignored the arguing two as he pondered over the offer. Could he really be free from this island? “Where would we go?” James asked.

“Where do you want to go?” He asked.

“Everywhere.”

“Then that’s where we will go!” Jack declared.

“No!” Elizabeth shouted. “James, this man is a pirate!”

James noticed something amiss about the man. Jack laughed, “Do you really expect him to be put off by that? He has pirate blood running through his veins. I mean one of his parents was the pirate king!”

James jumped into the conversation, “My father was the pirate king?” Jack pointed to Elizabeth, “Mother? Why did you never tell me?” James demanded. “What else are you keeping from me?”

“Nothing. Your father and I were pirates. Your father is a pirate. That’s it. Nothing else, I promise. But you don’t want to be a pirate, it’s not an adventure, it’s foolishness. Stay here.”

James nodded and followed his mother into the house.

That night Elizabeth awoke to the sound of a ship a leaving port. Jumping from her bed she ran to James’s bed to find it empty.

“Welcome aboard!” James heard from behind him, turning he saw Captain Jack Sparrow standing behind the wheel. “Ready for an adventure?”

James nodded anxiously, he was excited to be leaving finally and to go on a trip that was promised to be filled with new experiences and people and places. But he was nervous about how his mother would take it. She was getting older and he worried about her safety but he had to remain positive that she would be alright.

Elizabeth ran to the beach and stood at the leaving ship, in utter frustration she shouted out to the sea, “Bloody pirates!”

Back on the ship, young James Turner turned to Jack, “Where are we heading?”

Jack smirked and reached into his jacket pocket and retrieved his old compass. He handed it to the son of an his old mate, “What is it you want most?”