Chapter 8

"Oh my." I heard her gasp. I walked up slowly, snorting warily. "Look at them." She said quietly, almost in awe. "They're half starved!" I backed up, tossing my head. What was she talking about? More coyotes? I snorted at this thought, then looked down at my bloody legs. No. No more coyotes.

A small black and white dog crept out. It's ribs and hips stuck out exactly like the coyotes', but it lacked that wild look in its eyes. "Look at you." Annie crooned, offering her hand for the dog to sniff. The dog looked up at her and rubbed its head against her hand.

Another pup stuck its head out timidly, the scent of fear stronger on this one. She held out her hand to it and the puppy sniffed it, licking it gently. She picked up the black and white pup who curled against her, pressing itself to her chest.

"Why hello little boy." She crooned, stroking behind his ears. "What a sweetie! Look Whiskey!" She held him out. I extended my neck until I could reach it, and even then I just inhaled deeply. But the thing licked my nose. I threw my head back with a squeal and Annie laughed, then put the pup down. It sat right next to her and looked at the small brown and white puppy still in the crack. Annie knelt down and called to the pup.

"Here pup, come on little one!" The small puppy crawled slowly out, then rolled right over with his bloody stub tail between his legs. "You're okay now." She said gently, averting her gaze. She then looked back at the black and white one. "Two boys huh? That's gonna be a blast. But first, we need to get you home. To my home of course." She picked up both boys and held them against her chest, then walking away she clucked to me. "Come on Whiskey, we have an escape route to find."

I limped after her until we reached a part of the dirt wall that wasn't as tall or steep as the rest. By then she had dubbed the black and white pup Oreo and the brown and white one Rally. She put Rally down and he stuck right by her. She positioned me against the wall, then put Rally and Oreo on my back. I flinched a little, but stood. Then she pulled herself up onto my back and, standing on her toes, she managed to reached the top of the ravine.

She picked Rally up first and lifted him up and out, then she pulled off her belt and tied it around Oreo's neck. "I don't think you'll run, but just in case."

By now the first rosy pink of dawn was lighting the sky and Annie hurriedly pulled herself up.

"Gotta get back before Mom wakes up." She said as she picked up Rally and Oreo. She then looked down at me.

"Alright girl, I don't know how to get you out, but I'll find a way!" She then put the end of her belt under a big rock so Oreo couldn't run. Wherever Oreo went, Rally followed. Annie ran along the top of the ravine while I followed from the bottom, but it wasn't long before we reached the end.

By now the sun was easily visible and long shadows were cast from the surrounding trees. "Come on girl!" Annie pleaded. "I need you to jump! I know you can make it! I just know you can!" I turned away, there was no way I could make it with my legs in this condition. They had begun to swell and were caked in blood.

Annie's shoulders slumped and her face fell. But she took a deep breath and started to walk back the way we had come. I limped after her, feeling about ready to just lay down and give up. But I did it, I did it for Annie. Finally when we reached the end of the canyon there was a slope that I managed to scramble up. Once I was on the same level as Annie I dropped my head and sighed, more than ready for a warm bed of shavings and a sweet pile of hay.

Annie ran off to get Oreo and Rally, and when she returned my legs were swollen and painful. "Come on, girl." She said quietly, picking up my reins and holding them close. "I'm so sorry I did this to you."

I nuzzled her gently, trying to tell her it was alright. We walked slowly back to the barn in silence, Rally trotting alongside us with his bloody stump of a tail pressed against his flanks. Annie held Oreo pressed against her chest as silent tears fell.

Finally the barn was in sight, and when Annie opened the door Mom stood there, her arm in her sling and one foot tapping the barn floor.

"Have a nice ride?" Mom asked, her voice tight. I could sense the emotions pouring off her, fear, love, anger, pain, sadness, concern. And she hadn't even seen my legs.

Annie held out Oreo and placed herself in front of them, barely covering the bloody mess.

"Look, Mom! I found these little guys in the can-" She stumbled slightly as Mom raised an eyebrow. "-Cans outside the barn! You know, the garbage ones!"

"That's not what Mr. Taggert said, he and his wife saw you go galloping across their field and jump their coop! Annie Victoria Halliday that jump was three feet tall! You could have seriously hurt you or Whiskey, or even worse, killed both of you!"

Annie hung her head. "Sorry Mom."

"And that's not all, when Mr and Mrs. Taggert saw you galloping they were concerned, and went out on their horses; only to see you fall into a ravine! What were you thinking?"

"I-uh..." Annie struggled to find the right words.

"That's right! You weren't thinking! Now put that mare away, I'll call the shelter for those two." Mom said, indicating Oreo and Rally. Annie stepped forward, but Mom saw my swollen, bleeing legs.

"Annie. Victoria. Halliday!" She was practically shaking now, but not from rage. "You could've, you could've been killed-" She began to cry. Annie dropped my reins and stepped over to Mom, embracing her. "Annie," Mom said through her tears. "I can't lose you, you're all I have!"

Annie held Mom close. "I know Mom, but Whiskey's a good girl, and she took good of me. You know why we were galloping?" Annie asked, her voice lightening slightly.

"Why?" Asked Mom quietly.

"Whiskey was running from coyotes, she was so brave Mom! I'll call Doctor Martin in the morning Mom, but get some sleep, you need it. I'll take care of Whiskey."

As soon as Mom was gone Annie turned to me and collapsed into my shoulder. "Oh, Whiskey! You are so brave! Paloma would have just dumped me and ran, but you, you saved us both."

I suddenly remembered Freckles's words of wisdom, and as I pressed Annie against my chest with my head, I realized: maybe I was a great horse.