Chapter 16

When I woke up again I was in a trailer, groggy from the tranquilizer. Immediately alarmed I tried to leap to my feet, only to slip on the urine soaked floor and fall to my knees. I winced as pain seared up my side, and a quick look revealed it to be swollen beneath my shabby coat.

The wind blowing in through the open windows was freezing and when I finally struggled to my feet I stood in the corner shaking, both from the cold and fear.

The ride lasted a long time, at least, to me it did; and I was the only horse in there. I eventually felt the road roughen and the ride became bumpy. Finally the trailer stopped and I heard a door slam as the driver stepped from his truck. He came around back and opened the trailer door, looking at me with contempt.

"Come on you stupid nag, out!"

I shied back against the front of the trailer, getting as far away from the man and door as possible.

"Come on! Get out you worthless piece of flea bitten hide!"

I leaped forward, and he jumped away just in time. Freezing rain and sleet pounded down onto my thin coat, blurring my vision and dulling my senses. I was tempted to turn back into the trailer, but it was already pulling away, the ramp left carelessly down.

I turned away, trying to get my bearings. It appeared, from what little I could see, that I was in a heavily forested area. I walked on, my freezing joints sore and my skin numb from the tiny pellets of ice that bounced off my exposed, red, angry flesh. The one good thing from the winter weather was that it numbed the searing pain in my side.

As I limped forward the forest gradually fell away and opened to rolling hills and paddocks, but they were empty. Dejected, I stumbled on.

Soon I found myself beneath a weathered sign that read Diamond Creek Stables. I followed the gravel drive, past an empty barn and a dark house. The barn had a paddock in the back and an old oak tree in the field. The sleet and hail rinsed away any scent there was but I still lingered, feeling an odd connection to this place. I took shelter under an overhanging roof but the freezing rain still beat at my side until it was numb.

I spent the night there, and when the sun rose on a world glistening with ice I limped stiffly off, hobbling to an uncertain destination. The slick ice coating melted away quickly under the sun and I felt the throbbing pain return. I stumbled forward for hours, until finally I collapsed under an old Chestnut tree.

There were odd stones there, that read "Vikingo" and "Paloma", "Rally" and "Oreo". I didn't know what these meant, or what the names were, but I suddenly felt a very deep and utter sense of grief. I was alone in the world.

I staggered to my bloody knees, then my overgrown hooves. I walked for a long time, until I got stuck at a coop jump. I couldn't jump it, I could barely even walk, and I couldn't go around it, the fence line went on for as far as I could see.

Suddenly I heard hoof beats and my torn ear flicked in that direction. As I watched a black Arabian mare and a palomino Quarter Horse stallion came galloping into view. By their hooves was an old Collie with a white scruff and front paws. The horse's riders were crouched over their necks like jockeys, and a shiver ran through me at the thought of that awful track, but I also thought of Blue.

The Arabian saw me and whinnied, drawing the stallion's attention and that of her rider.

"Hey!" The woman exclaimed. "Look, Will! A horse!"

The man, now sitting up and slowing his prancing horse leaned back and spotted me. "Holy, she looks bad. She may not make it, better try and help her though."

"Alright. Shep, stay." The blonde said to the Collie as Will dismounted and came walking towards me.

"Alright pony, pony. You're alright." He said, walking towards me slowly and quietly. "You're going to be just fine, we're going to help you, just let me catch you."

He continued to advance, and I stood my ground, eyeing him warily.

"Will," The girl warned. "be careful, she doesn't look very happy to see you."

"Don't worry, Sarah," Will replied. "she'll be fine." He whistled as he came closer. "She's so thin I could count her ribs! And those sores! It's a miracle she's still alive! There's no telling the last time she'd eaten!"

I let him close close enough to feed me a carrot which was quickly eaten, he was right, I didn't even know the last time I'd eaten. He opened up his lariat and slipped it around m neck, then slowly led me away.

We walked at a very slow pace and I could tell it as slightly annoying to the younger, more energetic Arabian, who's name was Scarlett, but the stallion, named Jimber, didn't mind.

As soon as we got back to their little blue barn they cleaned out a stall and filled it with fragrant pine shavings. A boy with long hair, Bailey, a girl with blonde hair, Chloe, A girl with dark brown hair with highlights, Alma, and Molly, a girl with rich, coffee colored skin and black hair.

They all watched as Will led me in and I collapsed on the shavings with a sigh, rolling onto my side.

"I called Doctor Kerry, she's coming in three hours, she still has a few horses to check out before she could come see this mare." He looked at me, concern and worry etched on his face.

"She looks like a Thoroughbred." Piped up Alma, speaking in a Spanish accent.

"Maybe she's tattooed." Offered Bailey, leaning on the door.

"Maybe." Will said absently.

"Well, aren't you going to check?" Asked Chloe, disdain clear in her voice.

Will stepped forward, leaned down, and lifted my lip. Out loud he called: "3952." He let it down again and I closed my eyes, extremely tired.