Chapter 18

I spent about five months recovering, and over that time I learned that Pepper and Chili were mean, Calypso was vert chatty, Jimber kept to himself, Scarlett always worried about Sarah loving another horse, Lightening was the sweetest and always checked how I was, Button was always talking about how smart Alma was, and Aztec was always complaining about how hard Bailey worked him.

Caroline came to visit me every night, especially during the first few when I couldn't get up, she would bring  blanket from her bed, a pink stuffed bear, and a book. The first book we read together was Little House in The Big Woods, then we read Sergent Reckless, A Hero's Tail, which was a wonderful book about a horse in the war. Next we read Raja, Story of a Race Horse, by Anne Hamilton, who's tale was similar to my own.

Soon I was healthy enough to ride, so Will began to train me. First he lunged me, no big deal. In a few weeks he put on an English saddle and bridle, then mounted. I walked forward, trotted forward, but when he asked for the canter I got a little carried away and ended up galloping down the long side of the arena and leaving him in the dust. Chloe and Sarah, both spectators, started laughing as soon as Will sat up and said "She's definitely a Thoroughbred."

I bucked twice, then settled down and trotted back to Will, who was now standing up and tapping his foot. He swung himself back into the saddle and I behaved myself for the rest of the lesson.

Then Sarah rode me and taught me to jump. I already knew how, so all she had to do was sit there and steer me as I galloped through the course. We were only doing cross rails, so when Will asked how I was Sarah answered: "Just a big kid playing on the little kid slide."

So they moved me up to verticals, and by the end of my seventh month there I was making three feet. Caroline rode and was delighted that I knew how to neck rein, and I quickly became a polo pony.

Will decided that now was the ideal time to sell me, and as he read his list to Sarah off the barn computer I thought I sounded pretty good.

Name: Third Time's a Charm
Age: Around 15 (they used my Galvyns groove for this)
Breed: Thoroughbred
Gender: Mare
Height: 16.2
Weight: 1,200
Color: Chestnut
Markings: Star
Temperament: 3/10
Bio: Charm is a wonderful mare to have around and is currently jumping 3'3, playing polo as a pastime, being ridden by a nine year old, used in lessons, trail riding, and shows. She has placed third twice, second three times, and first twice. She goes in a full cheek Doctor Bristle and has wonderful paces.
Price: $10,000

The reason I was so expensive was to help Will pay off the debts of healing me, even though Caroline had offered money from her own piggy bank and done bake sales and yard sales, she only managed to raise a meager $250, and the total cost of my care was around $350,000.

At Horseland several horses came and went, whether for training or boarding, but it was just enough to keep the stable going.

A few weeks later two women and a man came to the barn and were watching me stick and ball with Caroline. She was playing one of her friends, Abby, who was on Flash. He wasn't quite as fast as me which gave me the advantage, but Abby was smart about that and used Flash's small turning radius to stay on top of the ball.

When Will came out to see the people they introduced themselves as Laura, Victoria, and Jim. Laura and Jim were married, and Victoria's husband trained the horses. They said they were from a therapy group, dedicated to helping rehabilitate injured or mentally challenged people with horses.

They explained to Will about how they'd seen my ad and were in need for a therapy horse, and I sounded good. Jim went on to compliment Caroline on her polo skills, and told her he used to play. She asked if he wanted to ride me and she could play on Flash and they could have a one on one, but he pulled up his pant leg to reveal a brace.

"I got flipped on top of a while ago, crazy gelding, air horn, not a good mix."

I heartily agreed.

Victoria, Laura, and Jim were willing to pay $10,000 for me, but Will said I was going to a good home to do good things, so he said they only needed to pay $5,000. They told him I looked and sounded like a good, sane, sound horse that was worth every penny of $10,000.

They haggled for close to an hour until Will was finally won over. Caroline untacked me, hugged me, told me I was going to love it there, then threw on my cooler.

The next morning, bright and early, the trailer pulled up. It was clean with fresh hay and open windows so I could breathe in the warm summer air. I whinnied my goodbyes and Caroline hugged me extra tight. She stepped back and stood with Sarah and Will as I was loaded up.

Will made sure to remind Jim, the driver, that I didn't tie. He said that was alright, their farm was only a half mile or so away. The ride was only ten minutes, and when I arrived at the barn I knew I would love it here. There were huge, green fields, brick walkways, several rings, and one, sprawling barn. It looked like it was embracing the farm. It had an old barn in the center, with red wood, and the arms that opened to the east and west were stone on the bottom and red wood on top.

The doors were all dutch so the tops and bottoms opened independently, and every door had the top open. Some horses were sticking their heads out, others were eating hay.

I fell quickly into the routine, small children from ten to twelve, adults from one to three, then I was done. I usually had four riders a day, two kids and one adult.

One day a woman with red hair walked into the stables, leading a small child with big blue eyes and long blonde hair by the hand. My handler, a sweet girl named Courtney, smiled at the girl who hid immediate behind her mom.

"Alright Sarah, you'll be riding Charm today!"

Sarah didn't reply. Her mother nudged her, and in a gentle voice said: "Sarah, remember your manners."

That voice, so familiar! That red hair, that freckled face, that walk! I knew it! I did, but from where?

"T- th- thank y- y- you." She stuttered. Her mother knelt down and put her hands on Sarah's shoulders.

"Sarah, I know you're scared, but none of these horses will ever hurt you." She hugged Sarah tight.