Time Loops

Prince Henry watched as his fourteen year old betrothed ran through Whitehall Palace gardens as his sister chased her. They were playing their traditional game of cat and mouse as usual, expect now he found it enchanting to watch her through a window just ten feet away. She had grown so much over the past five years and her birthday just passed. She would be his wife in less than a year and half. He would have to give her a gift for he missed her fourteenth birthday because he was in France with his father.

He couldn't think of a good gift. Every year he'd present her with a new doll or some fancy gown or jewelry. He knew that her young age was easily pleased with such things, but now she had become a true lady. She wouldn't be impressed by a necklace, gown, or dumb toy. He wanted her to remember this gift.

"Hello son. What are you gazing at there?" King Henry asked his youngest son. He followed Harry's stare to Princess Anne. "She has grown to a wonder lady. You are a lucky man Harry," The King complimented. Harry smile fell at his father's words because they were beyond true. Anne wasn't a pure English rose, she was a wild orchid in a field of plain roses. Where other girls her age learned to stand behind a man, Anne saw herself as a man's equal. She rode a horse barebacked and alone, while his sisters rode with saddles with male partners. Anne spoke her mind no matter ho's presence she was in. His grandmother even said that Anne would be wiser than Prince Henry's entire council when he became King. 

"I will never be able to please her. She needs someone who can challenge her, not tame her. Anne will hate being Queen, because she won't be allowed the same freedoms grandmother wants for her," Prince Henry said discouraged. His father laughed at his son confidence of becoming King. Prince Arthur had yet to have an heir by Princess Katherine of Spain and the King wondered if he ever would. "If she becomes Queen, you will be the only person who can stop her from acting as herself. If you wish for her to maintain herself then allow her to do so. A quiet Queen is useless anyway, Anne is clever. Put her knowledge to use," The King encouraged. 

"Mary come your mother wishes to speak with you." King Henry demanded of his daughter as she and Anne came into the same area as them. Anne and Mary curtseyed to the males and Princess Mary left with her father, leaving Anne and Prince Henry alone. "Walk with me Anne, " Henry gestured to the gardens. Anne took her arm in his and they began to stroll. "You missed my birthday, Henry. Do have a gift for me?" Anne wondered. Henry never failed to give her gifts every year, Anne intended to keep the tradition rolling. "I actually have a question for you, before we get to discussing your gift. I wish to know what haven't you been given in your lifetime that other girls you know have?" Henry questioned stopping by the fountain. Anne sat down on the edge thinking. " Well I have a future husband, an education, a family, wealth...now that I think about it..I have never been k-" Anne stopped herself as her thoughts took on a mind of their own. 

Henry's eyebrow went up in curiosity. "What is it Anne. Tell me so that I can ensure you have equal desires answered as your friends," Henry encouraged. Anne shook her head as her cheek burned red. She could never ask Henry to do such a thing. She but a child and he did not view her in a romantic image as she him. Henry turned Anne's face to his and eyed her, "Tell me, please," Henry pleaded a final time. "I have never been kissed.." Anne whispered pulling her face away. " And I know you are with Bessie Blount and I am nothing but a child in your eyes, but I do wish you to be my first," Anne quickly cried out before taking off running inside the palace. 

Henry followed behind his future bride and pulled her to a halt before she ran into the throne room. He rubbed the side of her cheek and her face fell into his palm. Moving a strand of hair behind Anne's ear, Henry slowly pulled her face to his and kissed her. It was a short, but gentle kiss. One she would value forever. Henry pulled away, "Happy birthday, my love."