NINE.

CHAPTER NINE: Parabatai Tracking

____"Why do I feel like a third wheel

____
"Why do I feel like a third wheel. You guys literally met like this week, how is it possible?"

Athena had opted out of changing into revealing party clothes like Isabelle had done, instead making a makeshift blueprint of the club known as 'Hardtail'. Isabelle and Alec searched the perimeter with said blueprint, while she was stuck with the two people she had the most conflicts with. Jace and Clary.

"Being third wheel insinuates that we wanted you here in the first place." Jace smirked, moving his gaze from Athena back to Clary.

At that, Athena let out a soft scoff, rolling her eyes in mock offence. "Hardy, har. Very funny."

"All clear." Alec informed, pressing himself up against the side of Athena while Isabelle linked arms with her and Clary.

"Do you think red suits me?" Isabelle asked, twirling a piece of her dark hair around her index finger. One thing Athena hated about Isabelle was her need to fish for comments of assurance. Isabelle knows she's beautiful, but that's all she thought she was.

"With a body like yours, every color suits you."

"Good point." Isabelle smirked, smoothing down the side of her head the strand had come from. "Damn, I make this necklace look good." She touched the ruby, winking at a stranger that had been looking her body up and down.

"Will you take it off? I'm certain that Magnus Bane doesn't want drool on his ruby when we make the exchange." Alec glared, the tapping of his foot on the pavement increasing. He stared straight ahead, as if his gaze would part the red sea known as the line of partiers in front of them.

"I wouldn't be so sure. Most men like it when I admire their jewel." Isabelle shot back, causing all four of her accomplices to shake their heads.

"Just give it to Athena."

"You're such a buzz kill." Isabelle teased, handing off the jewel to Athena before strutting her way into the club. Line or no line, nobody was gonna stop someone as pretty as Isabelle from entering.

Walking into the club, Athena was hit with a bomb of glitter mixed with confetti and an apologetic warlock. Her breathing came out in a frustrated puff, fists clenching and unclenching to control her anger. She was there on a mission, not to start a fight and get kicked out. Alec placed a hand on her shoulder, forcing her to move forwards towards a sofa that had Magnus Bane sitting at.

"Spread out, but keep your weapons ready." Jace shouted over the music, treading his way through the crowd with Clary and towards the warlock. "Magnus!" And quickly only Alec and Athena were left surrounded by people and the music.