ELEVEN.

CHAPTER ELEVEN: Deceived and Hated

____

"Jocelyn was right," Magnus nodded down at the Pentagon Clary was drawing on the ground. Her thin nails scratched the linoleum floor of Magnus' loft, wiping away a mistake in the chalk drawing. "Your artistry is beyond compare."

"Oh, I don't know about that," Clary shrugged, ducking her head to hide the bright blush crawling its way up her face.

"Well, the only other person I've known who could draw as well was Michelangelo. He was excellent in bed, might I add." Magnus leaned over, looking suggestively at Alec. Athena snorted in amusement at Jace's stricken expression. 

"Okay, we're ready." Magnus rolled his sleeves up, standing in front of the pentagram. "Everyone take your rightful place on the pentagram."

He ushered the shadow hunters to stand in front of one point of the pentagram each, while he chose to stand in between Alec and Isabelle. One by one, they joined hands. A jolt of power surging as the seal bonded each of them.

"This is more of a circle than a pentagram," Athena mumbled, taking Jace and Clary's hand, completing the seal.

"I will lead the ceremony and you must all do exactly as I say." Magnus started, meeting everyone's eyes to see if they understand. "The demons name is Valak, and at some point, he will ask for a payment in exchange for Clary's memories."

"What do you mean? What kind of payment?" Jace questioned the thing on everyone's mind. They couldn't back out now, even if they wanted to. The seal was closed and the only way out was to finish the summoning.

Magnus looked at the center of the pentagram, straight at the face drawn into the center with chalk. "We will see."

  Athena's eyebrows rose as she looked around, waiting for the demon to rise up. She had no clue what Magnus was saying, but it looked intense. He was trembling slightly by the end, eyes wide open to reveal irises that resembled a cat.

"The necklace, it's pulsing," Isabelle yelled over the loud winds. Everyone looked down at the gem, watching it pulse sporadically. Black smoke rose from the center, exiting the mouth of the chalk face. 

A sudden chill crawled up Athena's spine, demonic energy wrapping around her throat like a noose. Her head snapped up with the rest of them, Wings glowing.

"Valak is among us. Do not break the bond!" Magnus' voice echoed, watching Athena cautiously "It's time,  the demon demands payment."