The first partner

Leo was running late for work. His foot hit a puddle as he ran. He made it inside the building breathing heavily. He entered the elevator. If my lifespan...was predetermined I wonder how I'd handle that? Leo noticed he wasn't alone. He saw a girl with long black hair tied up in a bow making a ponytail. Her hand was against the window while she stared out it. She was crying. Leo leaned back to see what she was looking at. It was an amusement park with the ferries wheel. She saw leo's reflection and she turned around her tears still falling. In this moment...I think I've already fallen in love with you...without knowing your name.
              Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Leo had a nice suite and was walking inside the building. He turned around and checked himself out in the window's reflection. He slapped his cheeks. "All right"! He reached the desk and saw a blonde head smiling brightly at him. "Um excuse me where is the terminal service building"? Leo asked. "Oh that? Go outside first then all around this building at the back". "At the back"? Leo arrived at the back of the building. He dropped his bag and his eyes widened. He entered and saw people working at their desk. "Hello I'm starting here today! My name is leo! I look forward to working here"! He bowed. Everyone stared at him. He started sweating. Sagittarius smiled and waved. Scorpio looked back at her computer. Virgo gave him a cold stare and Arises smiled at him a went back to his game. What's a kid doing here? Leo thought. Little did he know aries was not a kid. "Well hello I'm section cheif Taurus. Nice to meet you. If you have any questions please ask Gemini I've put her in charge of all field duties today". "Nice to meet you ma'am"! Leo bowed. "Hey boss...I thought our newbie count this year was gonna be zero"? Gemini said smirking creepily. "Well, the thing is, general manager highly recommended him,Right"? Taurus explained and look at leo. Leo smiled nervously. "Well if we're getting a newbie, so be it. But you got give me more notice. We have don't have anyone to partner him up with". Gemini said. "Um what kinda work does terminal service do"? Leo asked. "Huh? The GM didn't tell you"? Taurus asked. "No sir". Leo said nervously. "Nothing at all"? Leo slouched as his poster dropped. "No sir". He replied nervously. "Do you know anything about our company's androids"? Gemini asked. "You mean the androids, right? Andorids loaded with synthetic souls, which only SAI has successfully developed. Not that I ever gotten a good look at one..." leo explained. "Well you probably wouldn't notice one even if you walked by one on the street". Taurus explained. "This guy's an android too". Gemini said gesturing towards Sagittarius. "His name is Sagittarius". Gemini explained. "There's also virgo and Arises". Taurus said. "But I'm human"! Leo screamed. Aries laughed. "That's Pisces". Pisces pushed him forward. "Nice to meet you". Leo fell forward into Saggitarius's arms. Leo looked up at Sagittarius. "I totally can't tell the difference". He said impressed. "Yeah so, An androids lifespan is only 81,920 hours". Gemini explained. "That's approximately nine years and four months". Sagittarius explained. "Once their shelf life expires, androids personality and memories disintegrate. That's where terminal service comes in. We head over to the owner's home to retrieve the androids". "Oh, I see". "In the revival process we use teams of one human and one android. But like I said before, there is no android to pair you up with". Gemini explained. "Then what am I supposed to do"? Leo asked. Suddenly a girl walked into carrying a tray and a long black hair trailing behind her. Leo's eyes widened. That girl... Leo thought back to the meeting in the elevator. "You know her"? Taurus asked. "Uh, yes. I ran into her earlier". Leo said. "Oh I know! We don't have Aquarius teamed up with anyone"! Gemini spit out her drink. She grabbed Taurus by the collar lifting him up. "Hey! What the hell are you talking about"? "W-well, Aquarius is a veteran! She's #1 in retervial around here"! Taurus frantically explained. "There's no reason to throw back out into the field again now"! Gemini said shaking Taurus. Sagittarius rushed over. "Calm down, Gemini"! "What do you say, Aquarius"? Taurus asked. "Are you listening to me boss"! Gemini yelled. "Huh!?" "Understood". Aquarius said bluntly. Gemini looked at her. Gemini...Boy, she overprotective with that girl. I wonder what's up with that? Leo walked up the stairs and Aquarius walked up to him. He looked at her. She's an Android right? But... he walked closer to Aquarius. "We're partners starting today,right? Nice to meet you"! He held out his hand. Aquarius took it. "Nice to meet you". "Hey listen...You remember running into me right"? Leo asked. Aquarius nodded. "What were you looking at"? Leo asked. "Error, I didn't quite catch that please repeat the question". "I said what we-" "error I didn't quiet catch that please repeat the question". She's still the same person right? Aries walked over with a smug look. "Hmmm"! Leo quickly let go of Aquarius's hand. Aries smirked. Hey, hey scorpio! The newbie kept holding Aquarius's hand. He was totally smitten. How creepy is that"! Aries smirked. Footsteps were heard along with a voice. "You still haven't shead that carefree student attitude". A girl with long black hair and brown eyes stopped infront of them crossing her arms. "That's why I can't stand amateurs"! Scorpio said looking away. "You better watch your back Aquarius. This guy is entertaining dirty thoughts about you"! Aquarius looked at him. "Really"? Leo stepped back defending himself. "I don't I don't"! He said frantically. "I'm scorpio. They told me to train you for today. Come on, don't just stand there we're heading out"! "Heading out to where"? Leo asked. "The assignment. What eles"? Scorpio said.
               Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aries was driving while leo and Aquarius sat in the back seat. Scorpio was in the front passenger seat. She looked behind her. "How old are you"? Scorpio asked. "I'm eighteen". Leo answered. "Oh really? Scorpio's seventeen". Aries smirked. "Hey don't spill my secrets"! Scorpio yelled. She glared at leo. "Let's get one thing straight. I'm the one who's sernrioty here. Make sure to follow my instructions"! Scorpio said. "Okay". "She says that but truth is she only started working here a year ago and she kept getting yelled at by Gemini". Aries said laughing. "Aries! Shut up"! Leo looked at Aquarius and smiled. "So tell me...why do androids and humans work in teams for this this job"? Leo asked. "Our roles are divided into 'marksman' and 'spotters'. It's our job as androids to negotiate with the retervial target and their owners". Aquarius explained. "You're a spotter leo. You keep an eye on your partner and make sure she's doing her job right". Aries explained. "In other words I just watch"? Leo asked. "More or less, yes". Aquarius said. "So you joined us without even knowing that"? Aries laughed. "You don't seem to bright". Scorpio said. Leo glared. He leaned closer to Aquarius. "Hey is there like a manual or anything. I know nothing about this job". Aquarius pulled out a pink note book. "Here". "Is that the manual"? "Something like that. But there is one thing thing you should remember about this job. This job never feels rewarding. Ripping apart memories...that is our job after all". "Huh? Ripping apart memories"? Aquarius kept silent. Leo opened the book.
March 21st Sunday
Today I played house with my retervial target, roseline. Roseline wouldn't stop trying to make me play the dad so... he quickly closed the notebook. "W-wait this is just a diary"! "We're here"! Scorpio said and the car jerked to a stop. "Our revival target is Edward. His owners are hajime and mari iwai. Time limit is 6:00pm today". Scorpio read the file and lazily tossed it into leo's hands. Aries walked ahead. "Are you sure leaving him in cha-" Scorpio cut him off. "Of course I'm sure! All our andorids have enhanced negotiating skills,okay"? Aries rang the doorbell. The owners opened it. "Yes"? "Hello! I've come to pick up my big brother Edward"! Aries said excitedly. "Hey Aries good to see you again". The owner grabbed his hand. "Thank you for coming to take care of Eddie, all right"? The wife said. "Sure! just leave my brother Edward to me"! Leo was awe struck. The retervial case was open and Edward sat down in it. He looked at his owners. "Thank you so much, for all that you've done for me". "And thank you Eddie". The husband said. "Remember, you'll always be our boy". The wife said. They hugged him crying. Scorpio stared at them then spoke. "During the retervial of androids, there are laws we must follow. First the owner must sign an agreement dorm in advance and the owners must be present during the retervial". Aries put a ring on Edward's fingers and put their hands together. Edward's eyes closed. An option came up asking if he wanted to terminate the program. Aries pressed yes and the retrieval was complete. The owners smiled. The case closed and was put on the back of the car. "Why do they have to be present"? Leo asked. "To ensure privacy. An androids memory is full of its owner's personal information which could lead to the breach of their privacy, you know? So to prevent leaks, we make sure the owners are present until the end". Scorpio explained. "But Edward didn't look like he had any problems". Leo said. "Don't judge by appearance. Discrepancies in his memory might have developed already. If we left him like that, his personality would've vanished in another twelve hours or so". "Is that so"? "You get the gist to the workflow now, don't you? In a busy week, you'd have three retervials or so". Scorpio explained. "So things are pretty slow here"? Leo asked. "No wonder amateurs are a pain"! Scorpio wined. "If you think all owners sign off readily on revivals, you're sadly mistaken". Scorpio said with a scary glare.
Next day
"Beat it"! The owners said slamming the door. "You see"? Scorpio said. Leo opened the file. "The retrieval target is nina. Her owner is chizu shirohana. The time limit is five days from now, huh"? Leo said. Scorpio sighed. "This is the third time we've come here, but she won't even give us the time of day." "What happens if you don't get her to sign off by the retrieval due date"? Leo asked. "Well get her too, no matter what it takes". Scorpio said. "For now, let's just skip her. Im leaving the next job to you two, all right"? Scorpio confirmed. "Huh"? "I'll have you know, Aquarius is a veteran. She knows this job inside and out. Try to keep up with her". Leo looked at Aquarius. Aquarius nodded.
               Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
They arrived at an apartment complex and Arises waited outside by the car. Aquarius, Leo, and Scorpio were infront of the door. Aquarius trembled in front and couldn't ring the doorbell. "Uh Aquarius? are you okay? Why are you just frozen there? Does she really know everything inside and out"? Leo asked. "Of course she does. I think." Scorpio said blushing in embarrassment. "You think? That's not what you just said just now"? "Oh shut up! I've never seen Aquarius outside the field before, either"! Leo walked up to Aquarius. "Hey..." "error please press the doorbell". "Eh"? "Press it! Please!" "Oh sure". Leo rang the doorbell. "Excuse me? We're from SAI terminal service. They heard footsteps. "What's going on"? Scorpio asked. "Who's knows"? Leo asked. Aquarius stared at her hands. Then she sensed something and began running the other way. "What's wrong"? Leo asked. "Outside"! Aquarius answered. The owner and the target were escaping. "Retrieval target spotted". Aquarius said. "Aquarius, can you catch up to them"? Scorpio asked. Aquarius nodded and jumped off the railing. Scorpio and leo did a double take in surprise. "Aquarius"! Leo yelled. Aquarius crashed to the ground.
               Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"This isn't good. The neighbors filed a complaint. They said you destroyed their garbage dump". Taurus explained. "The android who fled were captured by Aries"! Scorpio said. "I'm not talking about that"! Taurus said. "You've got to handle these things more peacefully, more smoothly. I mean, we've already been downside as it is". Taurus explained. Gemini walked in with an angry face. "Leo"! She grabbed him in a head lock. "Come here for a sec"! She dragged him otside and slammed him against the wall. "I have a favor to ask of you. Listen up. Don't push Aquarius too far again. Got that? Got that!?" "Y-yes".
                    Xxxxxxxxxxx
Leo sighed and laid his chin on the table. "Man, that was scary"! leo said. "She used to chew me out alot, too". Scorpio said. "Do Aquarius and Gemini have some kind of history"? Leo asked. "Years ago they used to be a team". "Oh". "What happened today wasn't your fault. I'll let Gemini know that later." Leo shot up. "Why are you being so nice to me"! "If you quit so soon after joining, I'll look like a deficient trainer! I won't have any part of that"! "I see...thanks". "Hey, but I bet after seeing Aquarius in action, you think you drew a short straw". Aries said. "Eh"!? "Hey you. Is that what you're thinking you miserable newbie? Just try showing that attitude infront of Aquarius and I'll destory you"! Scorpio yelled. "No no I wasn't thinking that at all"! Leo defended himself. "I'm not so sure". Scorpio said. She threw four files on the table. "Starting tomorrow I'm gonna hand one of my assignments off to you". Scorpio's said crossing her arms. "Go ahead pick one"! She said. "That's easy for you to say. We can't even get that old lady to talk to us". Leo said scanning it. "Leave it to me". Aquarius said. Leo got startled by Aquarius's sudden appearance. "I know of a way". Aquarius said holding a tray of tea. "Um hey aqua forget about the tea and go take a shower". Scorpio said.
             Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aquarius rang the door bell. The old lady opened the door. "Have some tea with us". Aquarius said. "Don't bother coming back!" The old lady yelled. "So that's what you had in mind"?
               ♡~The next day~♡
Aquarius rang the doorbell. The old lady opened it. Aquarius pulled out tea and cookies. "You're wasting your time"!
               ♡~The next day~♡
Aquarius rang the doorbell. The lady opened it. Aquarius held out tea and instant tea mix. "I don't want to hear anything you have to say
           Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aquarius was watering plants. "That means she's feeling down,right"? Leo asked. "Really? She always looks that way to me". Scorpio said looking at her. Leo walked towards her. "Are thoes herbs? Are you growing them"? Aquarius ignored him. He bent down. Aquarius look behind her. She looked back at the plants. "Right now I have chamomile, thyme, and rosemary". Aquarius said with watery eyes. Leo's eyes widened. He thought back to the time in the elevator. "It's all right". Aquarius said. "Huh"? "I'm okay so..." "you sure? You're not pushing yourself too hard"? Aquarius nodded. "Tomorrow is Nina's time limit. Miss. Chizu might be more stubborn than ever". Leo explained. "As long as I'm working, even I have a reson to exist". Aquarius said looking down. She stood up and looked at leo. "I have an ace up my sleeve".
                  Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"I'm not letting you take nina"! Aquarius was shocked. Her snacks and tea didn't work. Hey hey...
Flash back
I'm heading over there by this afternoon so try to hang in there until then, got that?
End of flashback
We're not hanging in there at all! Leo thought. "We need to think of another strategy". Leo said. Aquarius walked over too the fence. "Aquarius"? Aquarius started climbing it. "Aquarius what are you doing? What do you think your doing? Get down from there"! "The tea. I have to make her drink it today". Aquarius grabbed the basket. She fell over the fence. "Aquarius"! Aquarius fell in the bushes. "Um who are you miss"? Aquarius saw a little girl holding a hose. "Are you nina"? Aquarius asked. "I am". "Would you like some verban lemon tea". Nina smiled. "You're funny miss". "Hey you! How dare you barge in here! Get out of here before I hand you over to the cops"! The old lady yelled. "Have some tea..." Aquarius said. "Grandma we can't send her away like this. At least let her take a shower." Nina dropped the hose. "Nina..." "Okay"? "All right". "Thank you"! She looked at Aquarius.
                Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aquarius was taking a shower. "As soon as your friend is down with her shower I want you to leave". The lady said. "H-hold on a second. Actually you have several options in this situation. For now, let's forget about the 30% cash back deal and the replacement discount. Found it! This is it. By upgrading to the new OS you can go on using her in the same body. She will lose her memory and nina personality, but even so that girl, will be able to stay with you-" "Don't give me that! Maybe you people don't see her as anything but a disposable item, but to me she's the only family I've got! No matter what happens I'm going to continue living with nina forever"! The lady left the room. "She's right...she's right, but..." leo said.
             Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nina was drying Aquarius's hair. "I can...do it myself..." Aquarius said. Nina laughed. "You're just like grandma. You see I love taking care of grandma like this but she always gets annoyed with me! I guess she doesn't want to admit that she's getting old. I'm sorry that grandma got in the way of your work". Aquarius gasped. "So you know that I came to retrieve you"? "Yes"! "You're not scared"? "Scared...of what"? "Losing your memories when your lifespan expires". Aquarius said. Nina thought. "Hmm. I don't know". "I'm scared. If it has to be like that, then I wish I didn't have any memories. If I could store memories, I would automatically be working with my programming. It would be do much easier". The lady was standing right outside the bathroom door. "I was so happy that I got to be a part of grandma's family". "Do you accept the fact that you are you going to be retrieved? Don't you want to stay with your grandma"? "I do, I do, but if thing keep going on like this then I'll break and cause trouble for everyone. That would make grandma sad and whatever makes grandma said makes me said too. That's why I can't be with her anymore". Nina said. "Even though your grandma's so against it"? Aquarius asked. "Yes. truth is, I wish I could say goodbye to her with a smile". Nina said. The lady went back to the front door and leo spoke. "Um...I understand how you feel but unless we reterve nina by today, there's going to be a problem". Leo explained. "So I was only thinking about myself this entire time,huh? I'll sign the agreement form". "Ms.Chizu..." "Come inside. Also,can I ask a favor of your friend. Tell her I'd like her to make tea for four."
                Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aquarius made tea and was setting them on the table. Nina drank it. "It's delicious grandma"! The lady smiled. "Then I'll serve some of my special snacks as well".
        Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Scorpio and Arises arrived to retrieve nina. Aquarius put the ring on her finger. Nina smiled at looked at her grandmother. Aquarius moved out of the way so they could talk. "Grandma, you have to dry your hair after taking a bath okay"? "Okay"? "You're regular medication is in the second kichen drawer from the bottom". "Okay" "Grandma don't water the plants in the garden too much okay. Just once a day is enough". "Okay". Nina started crying. "Make up with ms.suusiki next door soon okay"? "Okay". "What eles...what eles..." "Nina...you don't have to worry about me. I'll be fine okay"? "Okay, then, grandma. Bye bye". Aquarius wishpered in Nina's ear. Nina smiled. Aquarius terminated her. The case closed. "Retervial complete". Aquarius said. Leo and aquarius were driving back. Leo stared at the file.
Flashback:
"Um...how do I say this..I'm sorry"! Leo bowed. The lady walked past him. "Forget it. Thanks".
End of flash back
But in the end...I didn't do anything. "I know what you're thinking leo. I'm trying to find a bathroom too"! "Oh no it's not like I need to go to the bathroom". "Ah! I might not make it! I drank to much tea"! "Hold on try to hold it"!
This took a while. How was it? Please vote and comment. This will have slow updates due to very long chapters.