Chapter 7

Swimming from her hiding place amongst the kelp, she made her way towards him. Perhaps this time she would scare him before he saw her...

The dream faded away. Memories from before her brother's reign often filled her dreams, reminding her of how sweet and caring he had once been. Enveloped in warmth, she opened her eyes to see an unfamiliar room.

The walls and ceiling were painted a pale golden colour and hanging in the centre of the room was a crystal chandelier. Arelena shot up into a sitting position and glanced around wildly. Where was she? The last thing she could remember was falling asleep on that beach... Someone must have found her and brought her here for what other explanation could there be?

The room she was in was decorated in a rather simple manner but the little things on the furniture turned each piece into something elegant. There was a chair in a corner with pretty designs etched into the wood; plain, pale blue curtains on a gold rod; bedside tables with a vase of red blooms on each; a small fireplace with gold plated accents. Looking down, she could see that she was in a bed but not one like those in her brother's underwater palace. No, this bed was made of wood and feathers, not from seaweed. It was far more comfortable too; perhaps this is what it felt like to lie upon those white fluffy things in the sky.

The door at the other end of the room by the fireplace which had gone unnoticed until now, cracked open a few centimetres. Arelena' head snapped towards it, eyes narrowing on the single green eye she could see peering through the crack at her. Whoever it was standing on the other side pushed the door open further before stepping away.

'She's awake, Your Highness,' a small voice announced before the owner of the voice retreated, their footsteps echoing through the hall outside.

A man stepped into the room. He was tall, lean and yet very well built. His sun-kissed skin looked so strange to her, especially since all of her people were pale like herself. The golden hair on his head reminded her of the sand and his beautiful brown eyes would have caused her to melt had she of been standing. The human prince was gorgeous. But there was also something very familiar about him.

'You know, I almost didn't believe it when they told me that a girl had been washed up naked on the beach,' he spoke. 'You see, not many survive the ocean's wrath but here you are, alive. It seems that the two of us are the only ones to have survived a shipwreck off this coast in the past couple of years.'

That was when she realised that the prince was him, the man she had saved from drowning. He looked so different now; he was dryer and looking much more alive than he had that night. She watched him close the door behind him and walk deeper into the room.

'I am Prince Reidan of the kingdom of Korin,' he told her. 'Tell me love, what is your name?'

Arelena opened her mouth to reply but no sound came out. She tried again but with no improvement. Frowning, she tried once more before closing her mouth, a million thoughts running through her mind. Why was she unable to speak? The sea witch had told her that everything would be the same, only she would be on land and with legs. But the sea witch had also told her that there would be a price. Was this it?

'What's the matter, love?' Reidan asked impatiently, folding his muscular arms over his broad chest.

How would she be able to communicate if she had no voice? All her plans were ruined; this mission would never be completed, Soren would die and her people would forever suffer. She shrugged her shoulders hopelessly in response to the prince's question. The frightening journey to the sea witch and her pets had been for nothing.

The prince raised a dark eyebrow at her. 'Can't you speak?' Looking back up at him, she shook her head. He sighed, staring at her like she was a waste of his time. 

'Can you write at least?'

Could she write? She did not know, she had not tried in years. Even if she could, would Mer writing be the same as human writing? She could understand them just fine, but creatures of the ocean could speak any language. Could they write any language too? She hoped so, she knew no other way of communicating. In response to the prince, she nodded, hoping that he would be able to understand her writing.

Without a word, he exited the room, leaving her alone once more. She was left to wonder where he had gone and why. But she did not have to wonder for long because a few moment later, the door swung open to reveal Reidan once more. In his hands were a pile of paper and a strange, metallic object she had often seen before on he ships she had sunk. He handed them to her and waited expectantly. Obviously the object was some sort of writing instrument and he was waiting for her to write. Placing the paper on the table beside her bed, Arelena took the metal object in her hand. She pressed the tip of it on the paper and with near, quick strokes, began to write.

My name is Arelena and I need your help.

She looked up at him, clinging to the hope that he could understand her writing. He had to, or all hope would be lost for good. Thankfully, he seemed to be able to read it without any problems. He glanced back at her and smiled.

'Arelena,' he studied her face. 'It fits you, a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. Now, why do you need my help, love?'

My kingdom is crumbling, she wrote. I need your help to save it

'And why should I help you?' He asked.

She frowned, not having expected this. Soren had made it seem like the humans would be willing to help them. But he had also made it seem like the sea witch would be helpful and instead she had stolen her voice. The princess desperately searched for a way to convince this prince. She couldn't find any... Unless she told him that she was the one who saved his life but who knows what he would do if he discovered that she was Mer. He could do any number of things, many of which would not go in her favour. No, she would have to keep her true identity a secret until Reidan agreed to help her.

Please.

'I'm afraid your going to need a better argument, love,' he told her. With that, he spun on his heel and exited the room. So far, nothing was going to plan and for the moment, there was nothing she could to about it; perhaps all hope truly was lost. Arelena buried her face in her hands and wept.