Chapter 27

Arelena had started a rebellion. Seconds after most the Mer had begun cheering, they had launched an attack on those who hadn't. A few of the bolder and potentially stupider ones even lunged for Tristien himself. Of course they never reached him, Tristien was too well protected. Not only did he have his trident in hand but he also had several of his fiercest and most loyal Mer guards shooting up from beneath the waves to defend him. They pushed Arelena away in the process, casting her aside as though she were nothing more than a clump of seaweed floating on the ocean surface. Despite the way they treated her, her brother's eyes were locked onto hers, watching her every move. Although his guards disregarded her, he knew that she was a force to be reckoned with. She could sink entire fleets of ships with a single note after all. Who knew what effect her voice would have on a merperson if she ever targeted them, she had never tried. But now might be the time to try, to see the full extent of her power in order to defeat Tristien once and for all.

Before she could pounder it any longer, she was attacked by a Mer guard who believed her to be more of a threat than the others seemed to think. He grabbed her wrists and took in a fistful of her hair, yanking her head back before she could even react. For a split second, Arelena was frozen in fear, her mind flashing back to the day she'd watched her brother attack Soren, trying to remember how they'd fought.

Tristien had lunged for his best friend, powerful tail sending streams bubbles floating up to the surface. His hands had stretched out, reaching for Soren. He'd grabbed at his biceps, fingers trying to dig into the flesh for a better grip. Soren had brought his arms up too, hands locking around his friend's forearms as he tried to push him away. They had struggled for a moment, tails slapping against one another as Tristien tried to drag Soren down but his friend fought back, attempting to get away. For a moment it had seemed as though neither would ever win and they'd be stuck there forever. But Tristien's fingers slipped against Soren's skin and the white-haired merman had been able to slip out of his grasp. He had flipped backwards, coming back around to face Tristien again, keeping both eyes warily on his opponent.

Another moment passed where neither of them moved.

From where she was hidden behind a pile of rocks, Arelena watched on, heart racing in anticipation. One of them would move soon, but which one? She clutched the rock tightly, leaning forward slightly to watch more closely. She hated that they were fighting, the pair had been so close until mere days ago. Look at where they were now, on the brink of killing one another. How had it come so far?

Tristien launched forward again, this time aiming for the other merman's tail as though he was attempting to stop him from swimming. That way, he would never be able to get away. He would sink to the bottom of the ocean and never rise from the sandy floor ever again, especially not once Tristien had dove down after him and finished him once and for all. But Soren twisted out of the way at the last second and Tristien went shooting past him, unable to stop himself. He was blinded by rage, Arelena could tell. He brother usually fought angrily but he had always been able to act reasonably quickly. But right now, his eyes were shining with an anger she had never seen in him before, one that was beginning to take over his mind.

'Tristien, stop!' The white-haired merman called to his friend. Soren had always been the calmer one, the peacemaker and more reasonable of the two while her brother had always acted first and thought later, the impulsive one. 'Please, we can just talk about this.'

But Tristien was beyond being able to reason with. 'No,' he growled. 'We can't, Soren. Now shut up and fight me, you coward.'

She could see the sadness cloud Soren's eyes briefly before he nodded and attack Tristien. She bit her lip nervously as she watched them attempt to rip each other apart. Now that they were both into this battle, there was no stopping them; she had always known that the day peaceful Soren went for blood was the day the entire world would turn upside down and two powerful forces would be unleashed against one another. And only would would be able to come out on top. But which one of them would win?

The two mermen fought, tails whacking against one another and nails clawing skin. Small red clouds began to form around the pair and Arelena knew that blood had been spilled. Sharks would come soon and prowl around, waiting to snatch up the dead body of whoever lost. Both mermen were covered in bruises and scratches, some so deep that she knew they would scar. This battle would never be forgotten by whoever came out victorious because he would have the memory of it permanently etched into his skin.

Soren threw Tristien up against the rock Arelena hid behind and she could hear bones crack. It was a sound that sickened her and she began to wonder if she should leave. No, she couldn't; she had to see this, had to know before anyone else what had happened here. She would not hide away in her brother's palace and wait for the news that either her friend or her brother had died. She had to see it for herself.

'I never knew you had fight in you, Soren,' Tristien said as the other merman approached him. 'But I'm glad you do because it gives me a challenge. I'd hate to just have to kill you without a fight.'

'Who says you're going to kill me?' Soren asked. 'You have no idea just how powerful I really am.'

With that, Tristien propelled himself forward again, this time locking his hands around his friend's throat. Soren's eyes widened and he pushed against Tristien's chest in a weak attempt to free himself. But it seemed as though he had no way out. Was this going to be the end of Soren? Her brother tightened his grip, a murderous look on his face. He was really going to kill him.

Arelena could see Soren struggling to hold onto life, he would die soon and right before her eyes too. She brought her hands up to cover her mouth so that she wouldn't cry out in horror when he did. She should really leave now, before she could see death but she just couldn't make herself swim away. She was stuck here now, frozen. All she could do was watch.

'I should kill you, here and now,' Tristien said. 'It would make things so much easier for me. But you are like a brother to me, Soren and I haven't the heart to kill you. And yet I should, I know I should.' He looked torn, his mind trying to make a decision before his friend died at his hands. His hands let go, loosening their grip and pulling away. He was letting Soren live. 'Just because I'm not going to kill you doesn't mean I can let you stay here. You need to go Soren, get out of my kingdom because you cannot stay here. So I banish you to the Dark Waters where you will live out the rest of your days in the darkness.'

'Thank you,' Soren rasped and turned tail, fleeing the Mer kingdom.

Using their strength, that was how they had fought. Tails and fists had whacked while nails clawed in a desperate struggle for survival. That was what she had to do now, to free herself from this merman. Reaching out with her free hand, Arelena dragged her long, sharp nails down the merman' torso and drew blood. She thrashed about, tail thumping against the merman's while water sprayed around them. His grip on her wrist and hair loosened slightly but not enough for her to slip free. She tried again and again, hoping that he would let go but it seemed with every attempt his grip only tightened. Would she ever get free?

Out the corner of her eye, another mermaid swam up behind her attacker and launched herself on him, giving Arelena the opportunity to escape. She took it, pushing herself away from the merman. Just before she could duck under the waves, she saw him whirl around to face the mermaid and snap her neck. Eyes widening in horror, she quickly ducked away before he could turn and come for her again. She swam down into the deep blue a little way, following her saviour's slowly sinking body and taking her in her arms.

'Thank you,' she whispered, knowing that it could have been her instead of the poor mermaid. She reached up with her hand and closed the mermaid's eyes before releasing the body. She watched it sink until the blue swallowed it. Looking up, she could see the Mer fighting from below and she wondered, could they ever win?

They could, but not alone. They needed help; they needed Soren.