An Unexpected Journey

"Your father has asked that I escort you back up stairs to your rooms" he said clearly ready for my protests, but I knew that if I didn't go with him my father would just send more and create an even bigger scene.

I swept up the stairs where my father was pacing outside my rooms. "I should have told you this earlier, but I'm sending you to Derden." He said as I realized what that meant.

"I will not marry James! I can't stand him" I shouted. I had only met prince James once several years years ago and we had not got on well.

"I'm not asking Caitriona. You leave tonight. I've already sent word and clothing ahead." My father said sternly.

"You promised me father" I sobbed. "You gave me your word that you would not force me to marry James".

"I gave you my word as your father, but this is something I'm commanding you do as your king" my father said as he waved in a young guard. "This is Captain Calum Ainsley. He's the finest swordsman and warrior in our army."

"It's a pleasure to meet you Princess" he said bowing before turning to my father "You summoned me your highness?".

"Yes Captain Ainsley I have decided to put you in charge of my daughter's safety you are to deliver her safely to Derain where you will stay as commander of her personal guard" my father said to the captain. He nodded, but didn't say anything.

"Now my precious daughter this is where we part" my father kissed my forehead. To the captain he said "I have horses ready to take you to the bay where a boat is leaving for Derden at dawn so you better be on your way".

"Yes sir" Captain Ainsley grimaced as he gestured for me to to follow him as he left the room and headed downstairs.

"If the ship leaves at dawn then we have a long hard ride ahead of us. Do you have anything to ride in that's not so cumbersome" he said stiffly.

I nodded feeling slightly offended. While I might not have been able to ride in my dress I would hardly say it was cumbersome.

We headed into my rooms which were currently empty. I ran into my closet and grabbed a pair of leather riding pants and boots I had commissioned. I also pulled out a silk tunic that had been a birthday gift from Aofie.

I struggled to disentangle myself from the dress and the corset that had confined me all night. Perhaps Captain Ainsley had been right about the dress being cumbersome.

I picked out the warmest traveling cloak before heading back into my sitting room where Captain Ainsley waited dutifully. I stood for a moment watching him since he hadn't heard me come in. The Captain was young to hold such a high title in an elite order perhaps only a couple years older than I was. He was also surprisingly good looking when he wasn't busy scowling at me. His face held a softness that I wasn't accustomed to seeing on a soldier's face. For the second time tonight I was tempted to lower my defenses and to see what he desired. I stopped myself though. Once I knew what he most desired I wouldn't be able to forget it. I could still feel prince Louis desire lingering on my skin and I wasn't eager to let any more desires in that weren't my own.

"Is this suitable" I said calling his attention to me.

His eyes widened at my scandalous appearance before twisting back into the scowl he'd been wearing before. "It would be better if you're clothes weren't so fine, but it should be fine since we'll be riding under the cover of night" he said as we started towards the stables.

My stallion had been saddled and parcels of food and water had been placed in saddle bags. I mounted with ease and put the hood over my head as we rode out.