An Unwanted Intervention

The next day was exhausting. It was the first day where I had to actually look like a princess again. It wasn't even the most elaborate outfit I'd ever worn, but after a week of trousers and loose-fitting tunics, this corset felt like torture. "Do I have to do this?" I asked Blair as she finished pinning up my hair. "James isn't even going to be with the procession," I groaned already exhausted under the weight of the dress.

"Yes, but this is the first time the Derdens are going to see their future Queen," She said firmly. I wrinkled my nose at future Queen. I didn't want to be a Queen. I really didn't want to be James's Queen.

I clutched Finn's hand in mine as we were rowed ashore. Something didn't feel right to me. Next to me, Finn was scanning the beach with a concerned look on his face.

"What's wrong?" I asked biting my lower lip

"I can't be sure, but something is off. The men waiting on the beach are dressed as they should and it was about the right size, but there were no banners and no one was wearing the Derden colors," He whispered putting his hand on his sword.

"It could be nothing, but I want you to stay close to me," he said. Although if these men weren't the greeting party we were in serious trouble since they far outnumbered our small party.

As we reached the beach Finn lifted me out of the rowboat depositing me safely on the beach so that my dress wouldn't get wet. As we approached the party I saw Prince Rob at the head and my heart stopped. These men weren't from Derden, they were from Mortaim.

"Prince Rob," I said squaring my shoulders "It's a pleasure to see you again after you ran off."

"Our time together was too short Princess I simply had to see you again," he smiled coldly "In fact, I enjoyed our time together so much I decided that I would like the pleasure of your company again."

"Oh, so you've graciously decided to accompany us to the capitol," I replied cooly.

"Oh princess I think you know better than that," He tisked "I'm going to need you to come with us." As he said that his men closed in around Blair, Finn, and I "You'd best tell your guards to stand down. I won't hurt you. I just need to use you as bait."

"You can't win this fight Reaper," Blair snarrled.

"I'll tell you what I'll even let your priestess and guard live as a sign of good faith. If you refuse to come willingly with me then I'll have to kill both of them which I would rather not have to do that," he said holding out his arm.

I looked at Finn who shook his head "You don't have to do this Princess."

"I have your word that they won't be harmed," I asked suspiciously.

"Of course," he smiled wickedly and held out his hand.

"Princess, no," Blair cried out as I slipped my bare hand in his. Once again couldn't feel anything through him. "That's impossible," Blair whispered.

"Not impossible, but it's curious" Rob smiled and lead me away from them.

"What are you talking about?" I asked tired of the word games. Whatever Blair knew Rob knew as well.

Rob chuckled helping me up onto a white horse "They never told you did they. That must have been terrifying given who you are."

"What do you mean given who I am?" I growled.

"Once every century or so the gods choose warriors to do battle on their behalf. Each of these warriors represents a major arcana card in the tarot deck," he said slowly.

"So that's what Blair meant when she talked about the cards choosing someone. But I'm no warrior," I said confused.

"Not all of the cards are warriors in the traditional sense. Some of them can use their gifts in other ways like you," he said calmly.