Unwelcome Introductions

The next morning I dressed and found Rob waiting down stairs for me. Somehow Rob still managed to look immaculate.

"I am sorry about the way that I acted last night. It was reprehensible and I apologize" he said not looking at me.

I straightened up surprised at the apology. I knew how men could be and they'd never apologized for it before. "Just as long as it doesn't happen again" I said awkwardly. Last night had reminded me how precarious my position was. Rob had said he wouldn't hurt me, but he could change his mind at any moment.

I noticed that when we mounted the horse I noticed that Rob tried to keep his distance from me as much as he could as if he was afraid to touch me. This suited me just fine, although I missed the way his arms felt around me.

As we rode the landscape became colder and rockier and I missed the warm green pastures of my home land. After another night of riding we came upon a bustling city with a large castle carved into the side of a Rocky Mountain. I shivered pulling my cloak tightly around my shoulders. It was easy to imagine someone who would become the embodiment of death growing up in such a bleak looking place. Soft white snow fell around us and I looked on in wonder. I had never seen snow before only heard tales from Rohan about his travels with a military battalion. The climate in my kingdom Moragain had always been cool, but mild never changing with the seasons.

I looked back at Rob whose beautiful face was twisted with a grimace. We rode through the drawbridge and were greeted by an army of servants all eager to serve their prince. Rob beckoned a scared looking girl forward "Louisa please escort the Princess to her chambers and make her presentable. Then escort her to the council room". He lifted me off the horse placing me firmly on the ground before storming off without another word to me.

I watched him go puzzled by his brusk reaction. With the exception of last night when he had tried to coax me to his bed he had been nothing but a considerate gentleman. Since we'd seen his home it he could hardly look at me. I straightened trying to maintain what little dignity I still possessed and followed the girl to a large guest suite that was lavishly decorated. There was a work room for sewing and embroidery, a bathing room with a large marble tub, a room to host any visitors, and a bedroom with a large four poster bed. I was surprised at the extravagance of my quarters. Honestly I had been expecting to be thrown into the dungeons. I was a prisoner after.

"Come we'll get you bathed and dressed" the girl that had led me up here said "Hot water's already been brought up in anticipation of your arrival". She brusquely pushed me into the bathroom and waited expectantly for me to disrobe. I waited for her to leave and when she didn't i hesitantly began to tug off my filthy clothes trying to cover up the best I could. I eased into the tub thankful for the hot water against my aching muscles. This was the most activity I'd had in years and had taken it's tole. The girl diligently went to work washing my hair and then brushing it out. When she tried to move on to scrub the rest of my body I firmly protested letting her know that I could handle the rest by myself. It scared me how I longed to touch those around me since that night at the inn and I didn't want to lose control again. She obliged, but didn't leave to room. I wondered if she stayed in case I would need assistance later or if she had been given instructions not to leave me alone because I was a prisoner and not to be trusted. I doubted that she would have told me if I asked her so I went to work scrubbing away the layer of filth that now clung to my skin. When I was done the girl handed me a surprisingly soft towel before helping me into a beautiful scarlet dress and braiding my hair into an intricate updo. I frowned seeing my reflection in the mirror. I missed the bright eyed girl with flushed cheeks who had ridden several miles away from her homeland and outwitted her captor long enough to get word to those who might help her. Instead I saw my face stare pack at me. The face of a girl who was once again the helpless fragile princess lost in a land of strangers.

The girl said softly "Please Princess I'm supposed to take you to the council room". I sighed straightening my shoulders before following her through the winding passages of the castle. I wondered if it had been designed to be confusing on purpose to make it harder for strangers to wander about unnoticed.

Finally we reached a large circular room with large tapestries of maps covering the walls and I knew that what Rob had called the council room was actually the War room. Rob was seated at the head of a large table along with a boy in priests robes, two boys with golden hair although one was far bulkier than the other, a girl with skin that seemed to glow silver, a boy with white hair that stood on end as if he had just been struck by lightning and a wicked looking young man with jet black hair and cruel eyes.

That last man stared at me predatorily and I fought the urge to shrink away. "So this is the girl" he leered "You undersold how pretty she is little cousin".

He reached out to touch my face and I froze. "I wouldn't do that if I was you" Rob said and the man's hand stopped mere inches from my face.

"Maybe some other time" he said eyeing me.

I shuddered fighting the urge to flinch away from him. Instead I raised my chin meeting his unwavering gaze with a steely look of my own. I noticed a Rob glaring furiously the man who was apparently his cousin. "You will stay away from her" Rob said sharply to his cousin.

"So this is her. The half of the lovers that you decided you just had to have" The girl said glaring at me "I'm Selene the moon card and I suspect I'll be the one who gets to kill you when everyone realizes that this was a bad idea".

"I'm Prince Robs spiritual advisor the hierophant" the boy in ornate priests robes said. He had a weirdly vacant smile on his face that sent shivers down my spine "But you my dear can call me Oswin".

"Yes thats Felix he's the judgement card, Calvin is the strength card, and Beckham with the white hair is the tower" Rob said pointing at the boys at the table. "And you've already had the pleasure of speaking with my cousin Clark the devil card".

"Look not that I'm complaining about the view, but why did you bring her here?" The bulkier blond guy Calvin said looking bored "It's a risk that I'm not sure we should be taking. The lovers have never sided with us. I think we should just kill her now. It'll weaken the other one making him easier to take out".

I flinched inwardly at his words but was careful to not let anything show on my face. I might not know how this new game of cards and magic was played, but I was well versed in courtly games. 

"Yes, but there has also never been a card ever recorded that could stand to touch death and yet" Rob said walking over to me tugging off a black leather glove. "May I he asked me quietly and I held out my hand for him to take. His large warm hands enveloped mine and there was an audible gasp when nothing happened.

"That's impossible" the white haired Beckham gasped looking at me with new found awe.

"And yet here we are" Oswin smiled, but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"There is a reason that my touch doesn't harm her. Besides keeping her here will no doubt draw the other one out to come and rescue her. They are stronger together and after being apart so long he needs her in order to beat us and win this war" Rob said.

"And why exactly do you think it's smart to keep the one person who can read and manipulate desires here in our midst" Selene said contemptuously.

"Relax Selene she didn't even know what she is until I took her. She can barely focus her her powers. She's no threat on her own. Besides she's the pleasant half of the lovers" Rob said.

"Not that I'm complaining, but what are we going to do with her while she's here? Just lock her up in the dungeons" the thinner blonde guy Felix said.

"I have some ideas about where she can stay" Rob's cousin Clark raised an eyebrow suggestively.

"No I need to find out why she's here. I can touch her which means that she is mine" Rob growled.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authors Note: Hey guys thanks so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed the new chapter :) Please vote and comment with thoughts, opinions, and what you want to see going forward. If you could also check out my new story Playing With Fire and vote and comment on it that would be amazing :) https://www.wattpad.com/486738549-playing-with-fire-the-beginning